Protein bar question

Beyl689
on 1/28/14 4:59 am, edited 1/28/14 5:05 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I have never had any issues with anything making me sick. Although I don't eat much sugar and I don't test my pouch. I sometimes eat protein bars when I'm in a pinch with time. I usually eat pure protein from Walmart and everytime I eat one they make me feel really woozy and kind of nauseus and makes my heart race a bit.  I figured I'd give the quest bars a try since I haven't heard anything but good about them. I just had one and have the same feeling. My stomach hurts and my heart is racing a little and I feel like I need to use the bathroom. I feel Bad enough to where I need to lay down until it passes. Is this what would be considered dumping? What is it about protein bars that causes this to happen? Maybe some people just can't tolerate them? 

poet_kelly
on 1/28/14 5:05 am - OH

It's probably the sugar alcohols in them if they have artificial sweeteners.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/28/14 6:26 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Some flavors do have sugar alcohols, others don't. Which Quest bar did you try? 

And no...I would not call what you are describing dumping. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Beyl689
on 1/28/14 6:58 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I have tried the strawberry cheesecake and cinnamon roll and the cookie dough. The cheese cake one is the one that made me the sickest. 

southernpeachnc
on 1/28/14 7:58 am

I'm about 6 weeks out and have noticed the same reaction.  Last night I actually took a nausea pill to get past it.  Had the heart racing etc.  I immediately thought of the sugar alcohol issue as well.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

tdbull
on 1/28/14 9:37 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I experience the exact same feelings, but it goes away in about 40-60 minutes. I even eat the lower sugar and fat bars, like Quest chocolate, but it still does it to me. Because of this, I don't even consider eating anything more fatty or sugary than these.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 5:08 am, edited 1/29/14 5:09 am

I dump on Quest bars - some people get BS much higher that the "net "carbs the bar indicates. 

The Quest is currently being sued (google that) for misleading the public. 

also look: 

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/03/03/high-fiber-foods-a nd-blood-sugar-quest-protein-bar-interview/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/14 10:24 pm, edited 1/28/14 10:25 pm

I'm by far not a nutritionist...but could it possibly be the type of protein these bars use?  I'm pre op so would not have experienced this, but I know that soy protein always makes me sick.  I eat Builders protein bars (1/2 bar for snack) and I know that there is no sugar alcohols and the protein is all natural and it's a combination of whey and soy (which for some reason doesn't make me feel sick).  I also like Luna Protein but after WLS this may be too much sugar/carbs.  Worth a look.  Again this is all with the disclaimer that I've just about exhausted my knowledge of different types of protein in this post).

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 5:06 am, edited 1/29/14 5:10 am

Yes. Some of us dump on Quest bars. I do..  The claims they have - net "5 carbs" is bogus IMO - some of us can break down the so called fibers and our body turns that into sugar.   If you have BS meter - and decide to try those bars again - measure your BS before the bar and then every 10-15 min to find out how yurbody reacts to them. My BS jumped from 100 to 200 20 min after I finish whole Quest bar. 

BTW: if you bought more than one - they are fully returnable.

also look: 

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/03/03/high-fiber-foods-a nd-blood-sugar-quest-protein-bar-interview/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 136 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics