low blood sugar or something else

Day_dream_believer
on 1/29/14 12:13 am

I have had two "episodes"  where I suddenly break out in a cold sweat and get shaky.  Last night I had eaten lunch at about 12.  I had a ham sandwich on a multi grain sandwich thin.  Then at 3:00 I ate a cup of air popped popcorn.  I know these were not good choices.  At 6:00 I started to get very hot and have a cold sweat.  Then I got dizzy.  I drank some water, but it didn't help.  I went through the drive though on the way home and grabbed some fruit.  That helped until I could get home and have a chicken salad for dinner. 

My other thought is that I am starting to have hot flashes.  I am 43 years old some it could be about that time.  My periods have started to become irregular. 

Can someone describe the difference between the two?  I am almost 3 years out from RNY.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/29/14 12:29 am
RNY on 05/13/13

You ate the fruit without any protein with it? Berries or something very high sugar in the fruit world? When I do add fruit back, one 'rule' from my nutritionist is that I always include protein with it.

I thought the general consensus was that air popcorn was a good choice. Why do you think it is a bad choice? And if you find it a poor choice, why did you eat it? As a relatively new patient, I'm interested in understanding from a longer term patient. 

Do you normally have a protein snack handy, like a Quest bar or a sample package of an easy to mix shake mix?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Day_dream_believer
on 1/29/14 3:52 am

Air popped popcorn is a good choice, but I try to limit my carbs.  I had very little protein and a lot of carbs.  That was why it was not a good choice. 

I don't do well with protein bars.  Quest bars have always made me sick...don't know why...I just know to avoid them.  I was driving down the highway with my child in the car.  Fruit was the best choice I had at the time.  Peanut butter crackers or orange juice would have been better for how I was feeling, but I went with what I had.  I will know in the future to have snacks with me.

Thank you for your response

rvtisme
on 1/29/14 12:36 am
RNY on 12/16/13

When my blood sugar goes low, I get shaky, light headed, but never had cold sweats.  I am pre-menopausal, and haven't yet had severe hot flashes, but remember my sister breaking out in a sweat all of a sudden, but not getting the shakes or feeling dizzy. It might be time to visit you obgyn.

good luck.

Renee

HW: 355, SW 314.2, GW: 165 - Surgery Date 12/16/13

Day_dream_believer
on 1/29/14 3:52 am

Thank you.  I need to schedule my yearly soon.  I will talk to my Dr. then.

poet_kelly
on 1/29/14 12:48 am - OH

Could be low blood sugar.  I don't 'think your lunch and snack were bad choices, though.  Why do you think they were?

the only reason popcorn without some protein would be a poor choice for me is because it would make my blood sugar crash.  But otherwise, I would consider it a good choice.  Not a good choice to eat all the time, but occasionally.

The only way to really know for sure is to get a glucometer and test your glucose if it happens again.  But since it happened after eating a lot of carbs without protein and since eating something make it get better, that makes it should like blood sugar to  me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Day_dream_believer
on 1/29/14 3:55 am

The popcorn was a bad choice because the only protein I had that day was a few slices of lunch meat.  That is more carbs than I normally eat in a day. 

thank you

Grim_Traveller
on 1/29/14 2:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think your lunch and snack choices were fine also. But it might be wise to try the popcorn another day to see if it crashed your blood sugar. It's possible, but generally speaking air popped popcorn is a healthy snack.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 3:33 am

Popcorn - not a good snack for me... unless I know I can eat within one hour after.

I don't think OP ate enough that day and that the heavy carbs day caused RH. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Day_dream_believer
on 1/29/14 4:01 am

I think my choices were fine individually, but I had too many carbs for one day.  Normally I usually eat cheese or greek yogurt for my afternoon snack.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 547 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics