For ladies only

KellyC210
on 2/3/14 12:13 am - SC

Did anyone else's periods get really bad after surgery? I am coming up on 4 months out, and my cycle this month is about to kill me. I am also wondering what I should do for relief, because Tylenol just ain't cutting it. Sorry for the personal nature of the post, but I'm not really sure who else to ask!

Thanks so much for any help. I hope everyone has a blessed day!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Dee.spunk
on 2/3/14 12:23 am - Sacramento, CA
Yes, it got crazy there for a whole for me. I didn't used to get my periods though. Very rarely. And then all if a sudden, BAM! I didn't just start getting them, but they'd last two weeks and they were heavy. And the cramps were horrible. Tylenol is all I can take, and unfortunately it doesn't do much for the pain. Heating pads helped a little.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

emmalyn
on 2/3/14 1:20 am

My cramps are not bad, its the flow and the amount of time it stays! My periods used to be about 3-4 days, now they stay 7! It starts off with 2 light days, 2-3 heavy days and the rest light. I also can only take tylenol. I asked my surgeon about midol and he said no :( So tylenol and a heat pad is the best I can do.

VDamasio113
on 2/3/14 5:43 am - New Bedford, MA

I wasn't very regular before my surgery, despite being able to have four beautiful kids, but now, oh boy. my cycle is unpredictable. It runs anywhere from 21-35 days, with the actual flow lasting a full 7 days and my cramps are so bad during the second to fourth days that I can barely move. Unfortunately for us post up gals, our choices for pain relief are limited. When I asked my ob he suggested prescription pain killers. I passed at the time, but a few more months like this and I may reconsider. As you said, Tylenol may as well be a glass of water for all the help it gives. I would suggest you talk to a doc if you can. Believe me, I understand. Let us know if you get any good advice, and good luck!

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 2/3/14 2:02 pm

My cramps are horrific and labeled debilitating cramps. I had a recent partial hysterectomy. I wish I had done it even 5 years ago! No more cramps and heavy cycles and I knew I was'nt having anymore children after my last child years ago.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/3/14 5:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh yes...but if it gives any hope for you, by month 6 they were more back to 'normal' and I wasn't feeling like I was going to rip my female plumbing out constantly with the cramps and such. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

SkinnyScientist
on 2/3/14 6:35 am

I am 5 weeks post op and have managed to have 4 cycles in 5 weeks!

I swear that my weight loss is lost blood volume!

Tee hee!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

RNY on 10/21/13

My cycle hasn't really changed and I'm hoping it won't! It might be a day or two shorter, but no huge change. I've always had crippling cramps the first day or two and Tylenol doesn't touch them and I'm allergic to NSAIDS. My PCP prescribed me Tramadol and Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) and while they don't take away the cramps 100%, the combination definitely helps. 

Hope you find some relief soon!

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

Laura in Texas
on 2/3/14 10:40 am

Before my RNY, I had nice 3 day periods. One light, one medium, and another light day. Post-RNY it was like a pig slaughter. I could not go one hour without going to the restroom or I would bleed out all over my clothes. And it lasted 7-10 days. Lovely. This lasted about a year for me. Now my periods are a little worse than pre-RNY, but nothing like they were the first year out.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

smummy2mo
on 2/3/14 1:34 pm

It has definitely affect mine. Had two periods right after surgery then two months of nothing and pretty much bleeding/spotting most of January.   After surgery the dr put me on Norco for cramps and its been a huge help.  Good luck! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views