tips for making protein shakes taste better

poet_kelly
on 2/6/14 7:14 pm - OH

Those of us that are very far out have probably all figured out how to make protein shakes we like (or else we just don't use them anymore because we can get enough protein from our food) but I thought this might be helpful for newer folks.

How to Make Protein Shakes Taste Good

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Candy V.
on 2/6/14 8:48 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Thanks Kelly

averybyrd
on 2/7/14 1:29 am

Awesome ideas. This leads to another question, though. I see a lot of people posting about adding fruit to things. Is fruit generally allowed? I know all plans are different, but I'm not allowed any fruit at all - dried or fresh. I don't know if/when that will change. I'm just wondering if that's unusual. 

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 2:40 am - OH

Yeah, I think that is unusual.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 2/7/14 3:02 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'd say it's not only unusual, it's a shame.

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 4:32 am - OH

I agree.  I can certainly understand discouraging people from eating junk food but fruit?  Now, my surgeon really encouraged people to make sure they got their protein in, and that limits the amount of fruit I can eat because I can only hold so much food.  But fruit contains fiber and antioxidants and all kinds of good stuff.

Cunning_Pam
on 2/7/14 1:51 am
RNY on 12/18/13

With my stricture issues, I'm having to back off from the "get all protein from solid food ASAP" philosophy of my surgeon's office and rely on drinks and shakes more until the stricture is resolved (second dilation coming up, but not for two weeks!) While I still love my Isopure, I've started incorporating some shakes back in to my daily routine, and I stumbled on Jay Robb protein. I tried a sample pack of the vanilla flavor, and it is SO good! Very smooth, no lumps at all, has a very mild smell, and it doesn't get thick like other protein shakes I've tried. It uses stevia for sweetening instead of aspartame or sucralose, so the calories/protein ratio is very good without any artificial sweeteners. Just a tip for people still looking for a "good" protein shake, since I haven't seen this brand mentioned here lately.

Kelly, lots of good tips in that article. Thanks for posting it here.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

averybyrd
on 2/7/14 2:26 am

Those are the ones I use. I love that they're stevia instead of sucralose. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 400 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 390 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 281 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 128 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?