Odd NSV - "OMG, what's THIS?!"

Cunning_Pam
on 2/16/14 11:59 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Soo, my brain can be weird sometimes. Last night I was lying in bed on my back (something I couldn't do prior to my surgery!) with my hand resting on my chest just below my breasts, and I felt something. Something odd, and...lumpish. "OMG, you have a lump!" my brain says to me. So, I feel around a little bit and check it out..."Yes! A lump! Aaahhhh!" No, cut it out, you don't get lumps in the middle of your chest, it's something else. "No, this is bad, lumps are bad! OMGOMGOMG!"

And then I realized...I was feeling my sternum. The xiphoid process of my sternum. I don't ever remember being able to feel it that easily before! Too much padding in the past.

So, yay?  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/14 12:04 am

Not weird at all.I felt something the other night and it was my bones on my shoulder I was like to my husband WTH is that.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/17/14 1:24 am
RNY on 05/13/13

WHOO HOO!! That is awesome!

I will confess that I have actually looked up photos of skeletons online so I can recognize the bones that are 'popping up' on my body, lol.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

The Salty Hag
on 2/17/14 6:40 am
RNY on 05/20/13

LMAO! I hadn't even thought of doing that! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Dcgirl
on 2/17/14 1:40 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I have yet to discover new bones, but I am excited at the prospect!  Awesome NSV :)

chaly
on 2/17/14 1:55 am
RNY on 11/05/13

I had a similar experience this week.  So, TMI but I so want to share...I brush my teeth with my shirt off after showering so I don't get toothpaste on what I am wearing.  Well, as I was brushing my teeth I was looking in the mirror, and to my surprise as I was moving I was seeing my ribs move.  It was so exciting!!  I even had to show my honey later that night.  LOL

Gwen M.
on 2/17/14 2:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Awesome :D  I've done this before when I've lost weight - "OMG, I have ribs?!"

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jewelsstevens
on 2/17/14 2:52 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

YAY!!!

QoftheU
on 2/17/14 4:30 am, edited 2/17/14 4:31 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

YES YES YES!!!  I know this feeling!  It's actually how I measure how much weight I've lost - every Sunday night before my Monday morning weigh in, I feel that bump - and yes, it gets more prominent every day - woo hoo right?!?!

Funny related anecdote: Many years ago I was watching some medical tv show and they were saying how if a person has passed out you can rub their sternum to wake them up because it's such an odd and uncomfortable feeling.  So I tried in on myself and thought, "Meh, I don't know what they're talking about... doesn't feel weird to me"... and it took years for me to figure out that it didn't bother me cuz so much fat was covering it I couldn't really feel it!  Well I feel it now - and it IS weird and uncomfortable - and yet oddly exhilarating too now that I can really feel it!  (Edited for typo cuz I'm not in my right mind this morning - and my left mind doesn't care!)

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

averybyrd
on 2/17/14 4:30 am

That's awesome! I'm constantly fighting with my hips now. They get in the way when I sleep now that they don't have a squishy covering!

Apparently the other day in class, I was holding my ribs. A child asked what was wrong, and I blurted out, "I just never felt my ribs before!" Needless to say, they all think (know) I'm crazy!

Most Active
Recent Topics