Concerned About My Surgeon's Post-Op Diet Plan

vcroome
on 2/20/14 9:36 am - Japan

As the title says, I have some concerns about my surgeon's post-op plan based on what I've read on here. Before I get started, I want to make it clear that regardless of my concerns, I intend to (cautiously) follow my surgeon's advice, though I do I think I will talk to my nutritionist (affiliated with the surgeon) about reducing portion sizes and cutting out some of the carbs. But I would like to hear everyone's opinions. For the record, I had surgery yesterday (2/19) and was released from the hospital today. I had an extremely easy surgery and recovery. I can drink easily without any discomfort and don't have much pain. My surgeon also discovered and repaired a hernia while he was doing the bypass.

First of all, my surgeon has me taking full-sized pills, both tablets and capsules, which I thought bariatric patients could not handle? When he told me this in person this morning, I asked him if it was really okay for me to be taking pills and he said "You'll be fine." I'm afraid of them getting stuck, and also I thought that our stomachs couldn't break down capsules? I've been breaking the tablets in half and haven't had any problems so far with them getting stuck. I haven't had to take one of the capsules yet, but I am going to try breaking it open and mixing the powder into a spoonful of protein shake and see if I can choke it down.

Next is the diet plan. My surgeon's diet plan has us eating 1/2 cup of food per meal, starting at week 2! After week 6, we can eat "no more than 1 cup of food per meal." I remember reading people's posts on here that they couldn't eat 1/2 cup even 6-10 months post-op and after reaching goal they increased to 1 cup to stop losing weight, so this has me really worried.

Finally, I'm worried that the foods suggested in my eating plan contain more carbs than I should be eating during the weight-loss stage. Starting from week 6 a suggested breakfast is 1/2 cup scrambled egg and 1 slice of toast. A suggested lunch is 1/2 cup tuna and 1 slice of toast. Suggested diners include 3 ounces of meat, 1/4 cup of vegetables and 1/4 cup of whole wheat pasta or mashed potatoes. According to what I've learned from others on this site, this is an acceptable amount of carbs for the maintenance phase, but too much for the weight loss stage. 

I have taken some pictures of the eating plan that was given to me at the hospital by the bariatric nutritionist as "proof" that this is really how I was advised to eat, and I'm not just misunderstanding something. Hopefully this works and they show up...

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4 and 5

Week 6

Anyways, I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. Was anyone else's plan like this? I am starting to wonder if maybe my surgeon creates larger pouches than other surgeons, if he expects me to eat all this! 

Robin3174
on 2/20/14 9:58 am - CA
RNY on 02/13/14

That meal plan doesn't seem right. I had my surgery a week ago today and I'm on full liquid diet for another week. This includes sugar free pudding, creamed soups, etc. week three thru five is when I add cream of wheat, soft eggs, egg salad, cottage cheese etc. week six is when I get back to a normal eating option. And only chewable vitamins.  

Good luck figuring things out. 

vcroome
on 2/20/14 10:22 am - Japan

It sounds like our first 2 weeks are the same then, and then we deviate.

I also have chewable vitamins. The pills are pain meds, and something that will supposedly help me absorb the vitamins better(?)

LilyBugsMommy
on 2/20/14 10:00 am, edited 2/20/14 10:01 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I think that "what" is on your plan at all stages looks fine. As for the amounts....you may be someone that can eat more than others or you may be someone that can only eat a little bit at a time. I don't think the amounts are outrageous, but I would always eat in this order-protein, fruit/veggie & grains/starches last. That way, if you can't eat all of the suggested food, you are sure to get your protein in first.

Everyone is different. You will know what you can handle & how much you can eat. I am almost one year. Depending on what I am eating, I could eat 1 cup of food or sometimes a 1/2 cup will fill me up. 

Listen to your body....you will know if you are eating enough or too much :)

PS-your plan looks a lot like what mine did. I had surgery in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

vcroome
on 2/20/14 10:05 am - Japan

Thanks LilyBugsMommy! I think your advice sounds like a good idea. That way if I can't finish everything I can fill up on the protein and maybe some veggies first. I'm glad to hear your plan wasn't so different from mine! I had surgery in Provicence, Rhode Island. 

Sherrie P.
on 2/20/14 10:04 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Pills are fine.  I was swallowing pills right after surgery.  

If it hurts don't do it.

The meal plan seems a bit aggressive with regard to that much that soon - again, if it hurts don't do it.

My plan is not anti-carb -- so the carbs don't bother me - but it does seem like a lot of food.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

vcroome
on 2/20/14 10:06 am - Japan

Thanks Sherrie, your comment reassured me. You were even able to hand capsules? 

Sherrie P.
on 2/20/14 11:13 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Yes - I tolerated them all just fine.  I bought some chewables and they were NASTY. Pitched those suckers right away.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 2/20/14 11:35 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I have been taking pills and capsules since the day after surgery.  I am 18 months out and never had a problem.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

vcroome
on 2/21/14 12:08 am - Japan

Awesome! I wonder where I got the idea that we couldn't take pills from, lol.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 58 replies · 247 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 511 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics