One week post op

jefferytmc
on 2/25/14 2:52 am

Last Tuesday (2/18), I had my RNY surgery.  I came out of anesthesia feeling pretty good.  I could only have one of those sponges to brush my lips and dry mouth with, but other than that, good.

Later that day, I wanted to try and walk, so I went with my wife on a stroll around the hospital floor.  I was having some abdominal pain (like when you do too many sit ups), but nothing bad.

No real issues on Wed and then I got to go home by lunch on Thursday.

Today I had my one week follow up.  I was down 22lbs.  That was of course mostly water weight.  But I am feeling great.

I am wearing my wedding ring for the first time in years.  I was over 100 lbs lighter back when I got married, so who knows how much my fingers will change.

My surgeon's office diet is puree for the first 3 weeks.  So right now I am mainly drinking water, protein drinks and trying to figure out how to chew thin runny grits (the not chewing part is hard so far for me).

For some reason the idea of drinking one of the powdered protein drinks makes me feel blah.  So for now, I am drinking the ISO Pure fruity type drinks (looks and tastes sort of like gatorade).

Thanks for all the ideas and support you guys have given me over the last few months.  I am glad to be on this journey with you all.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

PetHairMagnet
on 2/25/14 3:08 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I've been looking for an update from you. YAY for doing so well post-op!

Have you tried the Black Tea with Lemon from Isopure? LOVE it! And someone asked me if I worked for that company...the answer is no...I just LOVE that drink!

:)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

pamela258
on 2/25/14 3:14 am
with
Glad you are recovering well.

RNY - 8/12/2013

jefferytmc
on 2/25/14 3:25 am

I have not seen that one yet.

So far I have had the Icy Orange, the Grape Frost and the Apple Melon.

I was looking at getting the unflavored and possibly mixing it with something.  The ready made drinks get expensive, but I guess I am spending less than I was eating out.

Thanks for the encouragement.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

gtrdyfor50
on 2/25/14 3:57 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Sounds like you are doing great!

christinamudd
on 2/25/14 9:53 am

Wow how encouraging!  That's fabulous! I am glad you are feeling so well after surgery!  Hang in there!  The protein shakes are very good for your muscles :) 

Racewalker48
on 2/25/14 10:07 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Hi jefferytmc,

Like you I am 1 week out!  Glad to hear you are feeling good!  I am still on the clear liquid/full liquid phase until I can get 64oz of fluids in per day and then, on the pureed phase for me.  Best of luck on your journey.  I love this forum, it was recommended by my surgeon and I also find it to be very helpful and encouraging.

Katy214
on 2/25/14 10:24 am
RNY on 02/18/14
Awesome! Had my surgery the same day, feel pretty good too!

Most Active
Recent Topics