Photos are embarrassing...

canttouchus
on 3/2/14 2:06 pm, edited 3/2/14 2:08 pm
RNY on 01/07/14

Do you ever feel like hot stuff until you see a photo of yourself, and then you're like, "oh, nevermind"? That happened to me today...

I've been feeling really good about myself; I've lost 35 pounds since Jan 7 and I feel like I can see it a little in the mirror. But I saw a bunch of pics someone put up today on facebook of me a few days ago, and I look the same size!

Also, nobody has commented about my weight loss. Not that I want them to, but you would have thought that 35 pounds later someone would notice... I was only 250 to begin with... But now I'm feeling really self conscious about my tummy and my double chin. Ugh :( I feel pretty down. 

How long did it take before you started noticing a change in pictures/other people started to notice your weight loss?

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

Gypsyqueen5
on 3/2/14 3:47 pm - Seattle, WA

Hello I am right there with you. I had my surgery Jan 6th. I have lost 36 Lbs since surgery I don't notice but everyone else does. I do notice though in all my old clothes that fit me again. But when I see myself in pics I don't notice. I have lost inches. Guess cause we look at ourselves everyday we don't notice. Good luck to you on your journey. We both seem to be losing so that;s a good thing. Have  a  great day tomorrow.

SeattleSeagirl

White Dove
on 3/2/14 4:12 pm - Warren, OH

I like to think of this time as being like a person's transition from a caterpillar to a butterfly.

As you keep to your program and work out, you will get smaller and tighter.  The changes will be more noticeable. Treat yourself to a few great looking outfits in a smaller size.  Not too much because they will soon be too big.

I worked with a consignment shop and took in my big clothes for them to sell and used that money to keep buying smaller sizes.  Nobody would notice my weight loss until I showed up in smaller clothes. 

Experiment with skin creams, makeup, nail color, and hair styles.  Try shoe and clothing styles and colors that you normally don't wear.  Get some Spanx or similar underwear. 

Things will change rapidly.  Soon you will see those pictures on Facebook and not recognize yourself.  Have fun with this. 

RainbowRN
on 3/2/14 4:15 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I started out at 373 and I had to lose 50 lbs before I went down a size and it took at least 60 lbs before anyone noticed that I lost weight.  But now it seems like I lose 10 lbs and I can truly tell a difference.  Just give it a little time. ;) 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Lethy
on 3/2/14 9:32 pm
RNY on 09/10/13 with

I went from a 24-26 and I am now a 10 my surgery was 5 months ago and I still feel like I am way big. Everyone notices how much wait I lost but sometimes it is hard to believe still.  I think it is something in our head that is wired to believe we will always be fat. :( I notice it most when playing with my kids. I have way more energy.  You will get there. :)

Ocalasam
on 3/2/14 10:09 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I totally remember being right where you are!!  I thought 35 pounds was so significant that I was so disappointed that no one noticed!  It was depressing!  People didn't really start to notice until I lost about 60 pounds.  Since then (I was about 6 months out - 14 months out now) EVERYBODY notices.  I hear something about my weight loss every single day since about 6 months out.  I'm not complaining. . . but trust me. . . it will come!!!!

PetHairMagnet
on 3/2/14 10:11 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I had to lose a LOT before I could see it and even more before others could see it. But then there was this odd tipping point where people would start saying how I looked SOOOO much thinner to them and I was maybe 3 or 4 lbs lighter. It was a little amusing to me. My MIL saw me yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. I have lost 2 lbs in that time period. According to her, I look like I am 20 lbs lighter. Ay yi yi!

Have you considered any shapewear for your midsection? I got 'nuthin' on the double chin...it is what it is, but if anyone has a tip, that is one I'd love to hear, too!! :)

And you know what...you ARE hot stuff no matter what a picture may say. You are the WHOLE of you, personality and zest and don't let a one dimension photo down the 3D you!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Missella20
on 3/2/14 10:19 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

I think we are about the same size. Probably when I hit 200 it was noticeable. Now I get compliments daily lol.....it happens so fast that first year! Relax and enjoy it!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

The Salty Hag
on 3/3/14 12:27 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I look back at pictures taken at one or two months out and get a little sad that I didn't look nearly as good as I thought I did. It was still an improvement over my before pictures though!! I about collapsed when I finally saw my surgeon's official before picture of me. I don't know WHO I thought I was fooling ( besides myself ) by wearing a shirt I thought covered my big ol' tummy. 

I noticed some weight loss at a few months out, but only a little. Even up until last month, I didn't think like I looked like I'd lost over 100 lbs. It was when I saw that before picture and then saw a goofy selfie I took at the gym and compared them that I was thinking "Holy crap! I DO look a lot smaller! DAMN!" 

It'll come...don't worry. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Amy R.
on 3/3/14 1:27 am

You've gotten some great feedback.

One thing I'll add is that the folks that see you every day don't notice as quickly as those who you see infrequently. 

Eventually though everyone will notice so try not to get too worried.  Congrats on a great start to your journey=)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 140 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics