Protein

pghgirl
on 3/2/14 1:32 pm, edited 3/2/14 1:38 pm

Hey guys. I was wondering something. I don't have a surgery date yet but I've done the math and I should have my surgery around June or July but I thought I'd go ahead and get a head start on starting protein ( is this a good idea or should I wait until after my surgery? ) So I bought the Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder from Wal-Mart and I was just wondering if anyone has used this and had good results, etc?

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

juldga
on 3/2/14 3:52 pm
RNY on 02/28/14

I like the nectar protein. The unjury chocolate splendor. But my fav is celebrate ens plus protein vanilla cake batter 

White Dove
on 3/2/14 4:20 pm - Warren, OH

Sorry but this is a bad idea.  Protein drinks are fine for adding extra calories and protein if you are not able to get enough from food.  They are used by body builders that are trying to bulk up.

If you want to experiment with it, that is fine, but make sure that you are aware that the extra calories can easily pack some more weight on you.  You must cut out other foods when you drink the protein shakes.

QoftheU
on 3/3/14 2:05 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

IN YOUR OPINION "this is a bad idea".

I, respectfully disagree.  If you want to start getting used to your new way of living, by all means, try the protein powder idea.  But as White Dove wrote, do cut out other foods to compensate for it. 

A note: you might find that constipation rears it's ugly head from all the added protein, so be sure to keep your fiber up big time.  Once you're post op you will more than likely have to add Benefiber or some other fiber supplement to keep your bowels a happy camper!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

KARENMILLIE
on 3/2/14 5:56 pm

hi...think this is what I bought from walmart. it is good and filling. I'm still pre op...hoping for surg in next month.  Karen in the woods of alaska

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/2/14 8:02 pm

IMO protein drinks before surgery are good idea if you use therm instead of a meal or a snack try different type of low cal - low carbs additives to play with their taste.  I.e. masking protein shake with lots of fruits, adding but butter, etc... May maker as shake very high calories and really may make you put on more weight. 

IMO - replacing one meal or a snack with proitein shake mat help you load on proteins and help weityh post op recovery since a lot of us have as haste time gert enough proteinsd in first few days - weeks post op.

I would try to make a shake with up to 20 -25 gr of proteins and no more than 250 cal as as meal replacement, or 15-20 proteins and 150-200 cal for a snack.  Many people mix proteins with milk - but milk has 12 gr of sugar per 8 oz, and that is a lot in my book. IMO using unsweet coconut or almond milk may add some fat (good fat) and provides more satiety that would be more lasting than a skim milk. 

The protein from Walmart isd not as bad choice as long as you make sure it is the low sugar type.  But it is whey concentrate and it may have some lactose. Before WLS thast may be OK, but some people develop lactose intolerance post op and that brand may bother them. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MamaJesse
on 3/2/14 9:43 pm

I used Body Fortress through my pre-op liquid diet and for a little while after my surgery.  They worked just fine.  I have developed an intolerance to whey protein post-surgery, so I've gone to a raw/vegan/bean sprout protein recently. Also, be prepared to switch brands/flavors post surgery as you'll be sick.to.death. of the Body Fortress after drinking it daily for a month.  Trust me.

dragonlove
on 3/2/14 9:55 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Protein is always good for your body.  Like others have said though, this needs to be in place of a meal, not in addition.  I use that protein mix - it is a great way to boost protein on a day when I'm having trouble getting it all in.  I've got egghead's recipe book on Protein shakes - it is great!  Make sure and only add sugar-free flavorings to your shake as much as possible.  I make mine with milk and add sugar free syrup, fruit, sugar free pudding, and ice.  Yummy and gives me a huge amount of protein with very little calories. 

Good luck!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

PetHairMagnet
on 3/2/14 10:06 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I do not know anything about that powder, I am vehemently anti-WalMart so I'm already against anything they make if it is their brand. 

But your pre-op diet should be under the care of your nutritionist, so he or she should answer that question.

One thing I will share is that what you love now, you might not be able to even tolerate later, so be mindful not to stock up too much as your surgery date nears. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Missella20
on 3/2/14 10:24 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Starting protein is a great idea! Before my surgery my nutritionist had me track protein and try to eat 60 + grams daily. I did drink a shake once a day but also experimented with other things like turkey sausage, weight control oatmeal, yogurt, cheese, nuts, basically practicing what I would eat for life after surgery. 

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 312 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 104 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views