Feeling Scared

TempiB
on 3/4/14 6:38 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

I am having RNY on March 24th.  I got the informed consent packet from my surgeon today to read through and sign before my appointment on the 10th.  21 pages of horrific possible complications and information regarding possible death or disability.  I was scared to do this to begin with.  Now I am officially freaked out.  I have spent two years contemplating this decision.  I have been on here reading and researching.  I have purchased books on the subject.  I feel that I am making an informed decision but seeing it all in one place in such blunt terms just makes me feel shaky about doing it.  Darn that pesky informed consent. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 6:47 am, edited 3/4/14 6:48 am

I was scared.I had second thoughts after I read a few things and as the day got closer.But I knew I had to have it done.I am so glad I did.Best thing I ever have done.

TempiB
on 3/4/14 6:51 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

I know i have to have it done.  I just wish I could feel more confident about it. 

Jewelsstevens
on 3/4/14 6:53 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

You would probably have to sign the same consent to have your gallbladder removed or a hernia repaired. It is the result of a litigous society.

TempiB
on 3/4/14 8:30 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

Yes. That's a good point. 

pghgirl
on 3/4/14 6:53 am

I can relate to your fears. I am scared, too, but I am more scared of what my future will be if I continue the way I am. Heart disease and Diabetes run in my family really bad and I don't want that for my future so I'm doing something now before it becomes my reality. If your surgeon and hospital have low complication rates and have done a lot of surgeries, then I'm sure you will be in great hands. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this in the first place. You can do this. You will be on the "other side" before you know it and then it'll all be worth it when you start dropping those pounds. Keep your head up and think positive. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers! Hang in there!

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

TempiB
on 3/4/14 8:43 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

Yes. Please pray for me. Thank you 

poet_kelly
on 3/4/14 7:01 am - OH

Well, did the packet include information about the likelihood of those complications?  Or just tell you they could possibly happen?  For myself, when I looked at the statistics and saw how unlikely serious complications where, I wasn't so worried.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TempiB
on 3/4/14 8:41 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

No it didn't. That is going to be my first question to him when I go for my appointment on the 10th. 

southernpeachnc
on 3/4/14 7:17 am

I'm just reminding you of your "informed decision".  We all made the same decision.  We all have stated it was the right one for all of us.  It's normal to feel anxiety of the unknown.  As long as you feel secure with your surgeon and the program then your surgery will likely go the same as all of ours.  Try to keep your eye on the prize.  Come here as you just did when you get what I call the "heeby-geebies".  Everyone here will listen and way-lay some of your worries.  Know you are not alone in this.  We're with you in this!  

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 185 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?