How to Slow Down Loss

DoryAnne2
on 3/5/14 12:11 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Yes, never thought I'd be looking for ways to slow down my weight loss, but I hit my goal weight and I'm still losing.  My face is looking more and more drawn and my body will just get looser, so I really don't want to lose any more.  The problem is that I'm eating as much protein as I can (as you know, it's very dense and after 2-3 ounces, I physically can't eat any more).  I love salads, fruits, and veggies, but they're not very caloric.  Of course, the "bad" stuff goes down easily - carbs and sugars - but I don't want to bring my calories up higher by eating junk, and I don't want to give up walking every day because I'll need to do that for a lifetime to stay healthy.

Any suggestions on how to stop my weight loss in a healthy way?   I think part of the problem is that I reached goal so quickly (less than a year) so my stomach still can't tolerate much.  I know a couple of years from now I'll be struggling to keep my weight down as the malaborption stops and my stomach stretches, but for now it's a little scary to keep losing (I'm in a size 8 - which I never thought I'd be - and they're getting very loose.  I thought I looked great in a size 10). 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

SkinnyScientist
on 3/5/14 12:21 am

Congrats. No suggestions. And I really dont understand why you would want to do that. I have heard some people post about rebounding (i.e. regaining some weight) so it would be better to be below your "dream size" (e.g. a 10).

I would say, let it do what it is gong to do. If you end up 4-8 you can shop at H&M, Forever 21, and Hollister!  THere will always be BEAUTIFUL clothes on the clearance rack for you (sz 10-16 always seem to disappear more quickly off of the clearance racks...especially if the outfit is CUTE).

Man, if I woke up and could wear haute couture, I would book a skinny clothes buying trip to Paris!  Credit card be damned!  :)

So, I have no hints. Dont hit the twinkies!  You have the luckiest of problems!!!  :)

Congrats on being at goal!!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

karenp8
on 3/5/14 2:16 am - Brighton, IL

I ended up smaller than I expected to. I wear a size 1 or a girls 14 or 16. I was still losing several pounds a week and my bmi was in the underweight range. My surgeon suggested adding healthy snacks like string cheese or greek yogurt anf eating a little something every 3 to 4 hours. Originally I was told to only eat 3 meals a day. I also decreased my exercise to 45 minutes a day instead of an hour and a half. I weigh daily now and the loss has stopped and my bmi is at the very bottom of a normal bmi.

siberiancat
on 3/5/14 2:49 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I would keep on your bariatric food plan and eat healthy nutritious food (fuel) for a healthy body.  Stay away from white (bread, potatoes, rice, flour, etc.) and simple carbs & junk food, or they may get out of control.  I also lost below my goal weight and looked boney and gaunt for a few months and then my body redistributed a little and I didn't look like a "starved" skeleton.  I keep at about 10 pounds below my goal weight for another year and then BOOM I put on 8 pounds.  I'm glad I had the "cushion" because I'm still at my goal weight.

People kept telling me I should stop losing and I could see my bones protruding but I kept my food diary and kept on my bariatric plan and I'm glad I did.  Eventually my face looks fuller and I don't get those comments any more.  Losing weight so quickly - people see such a vast change and they kind of want us they way they are used to us.

There are countless stories of bariatric patients saying they started to eat "normal" because they were at goal and they gain and gain and are asking how to lose weight after they have put 20-30 pounds back on.  Just be careful.  This is a lifestyle change - NOT a diet.  We are to eat a bariatric diet forever.

Best wishes, Penny

Personally, I would not try to stop weight loss and gain weight.  Stay with your food plan or talk with your dietician.

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

PetHairMagnet
on 3/5/14 9:26 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Pacific Time, siberiancat wrote:

I would keep on your bariatric food plan and eat healthy nutritious food (fuel) for a healthy body.  Stay away from white (bread, potatoes, rice, flour, etc.) and simple carbs & junk food, or they may get out of control.  I also lost below my goal weight and looked boney and gaunt for a few months and then my body redistributed a little and I didn't look like a "starved" skeleton.  I keep at about 10 pounds below my goal weight for another year and then BOOM I put on 8 pounds.  I'm glad I had the "cushion" because I'm still at my goal weight.

People kept telling me I should stop losing and I could see my bones protruding but I kept my food diary and kept on my bariatric plan and I'm glad I did.  Eventually my face looks fuller and I don't get those comments any more.  Losing weight so quickly - people see such a vast change and they kind of want us they way they are used to us.

There are countless stories of bariatric patients saying they started to eat "normal" because they were at goal and they gain and gain and are asking how to lose weight after they have put 20-30 pounds back on.  Just be careful.  This is a lifestyle change - NOT a diet.  We are to eat a bariatric diet forever.

Best wishes, Penny

Personally, I would not try to stop weight loss and gain weight.  Stay with your food plan or talk with your dietician.

I have heard this from SO many long timers! A woman at support group just last night showed photos of her when she initially met goal and her face was incredibly gaunt, but she is the same weight four years later and her face is more 'filled in' and she's had plastics only on her panni. It just took a while for her body to level out in mass distribution.  

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sherrie P.
on 3/5/14 11:41 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Agree. I am below my surgeon's goal weight....wearing a size 8.... and I am still losing slowly. Everyone talks about bounce-back. I am saving my clothes and plan to keep doing what I am doing.  You are probably within a normal BMI if you are wearing an 8 -- so I would not worry. If you truly want to stop losing, then eat more calories more often. If you don't want carbs - how do you do with cheese/dairy?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
Recent Topics