Best tips for surgery day and at the hospital?

AnnyBananny
on 3/5/14 11:12 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I'm in the 2-week count down to my surgery (finally!). I'm wondering...what is the best tip you have for surgery day and things to bring to the hospital?!

tdbull
on 3/5/14 11:23 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Bring very little. I don't know how long you'll be there, but I just stayed in their hospital gown. I brought skid resistant fuzzy socks, slip on slippers, Gas-X Thin Strips, and a couple of magazines. (I was in MX) so didn't use my cell phone. Then just took my basic toiletries bag, toothbrush/paste, hairbrush, etc. I skipped makeup altogether. Wish you the very best.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

ReginaPhelange
on 3/5/14 11:38 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Phone and charger

tooth brush tooth paste

shampoo and. Soap

clean clothes to go home in

RNY 2/24/14. HW 274ish. SW 259 GW 135

Heather D.
on 3/5/14 11:59 am

Toothpaste and tooth brush. 

Charger

a book or magazines

Your own toilet paper (seriously- hospital toilet paper is like sandpaper after a day!!!)

LMB221B
on 3/5/14 12:30 pm

I found it interesting that at our nutrition class when they went over what to bring to the hospital, they suggested to bring our own pillow in a colorful pillowcase. I thought that was a great idea. Tomorrow I'm going to sew myself a new pillowcase to take. 

selhard
on 3/5/14 12:31 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Best tip for surgery day: peace of mind knowing you've thoroughly educated yourself by reading pre and post WLS requirements plus having your house in order with supplies, meds, and maybe backup help ready just in case.  Things to bring to hospital:  I felt better bringing (and think nurses appreciated) new or like new, clean robe/slippers/underwear/hairbrush/shoes. My DD brought a curling iron to style my hair on discharge day--the nurses got a kick out of that and if you really wanna surprise them, bring and leave a handwritten thank-you note.

diane48
on 3/5/14 1:57 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Chap stick.  Ear plugs or ipod.  It can get kind of noisy at night sometimes at a hospital and the ear plugs help. 

MyLady Heidi
on 3/5/14 5:44 pm

Make sure you ask for anything they can give you during surgery so you don't wake up queasy.  Make the anaestesia doctor your new best friend, it makes a huge difference.  I had gallbladder surgery and was sick for two weeks after with nausea.  My friend told me prior to my rny to ask before surgery and I woke up fine, did the same with my plastics surgeries.

As for what I brought and used, lip balm, facial cleansing wipes, my own pillow, a fan, my bf brought me lillies since they smell beautiful, my makeup kit for going home, comfortable clothes for going home.  Ipod or tablet would be nice also.

Good luck.

rebakemp72
on 3/5/14 10:29 pm - Mechanicville, NY
RNY on 02/24/14

You may find this kind of personal, but for women, i found for my self any way, Poise Pads, & a couple of Summers Eves cleansing clothes (after the cath comes out), I also brought my own quilt - that I made - yes a touch of home greatly helped with my recovery.    As soon as I was able to change into my own pj's, I did that! so I made sure I had plenty of clothes to change into.  One of the other firsts for me - brush my teeth - after NPO for so long, you just need to brush the yuck from your mouth!

Best of luck you you with your surgery, you will be with us on the loosing end in no time!

PetHairMagnet
on 3/5/14 11:43 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Drink like a freaking fish the two days prior so that it is easy to get the IV in. You'll have to stop at whatever time pre-op they tell you of course, but I was literally up at midnight so I could have 24 ounces of water before my 1a cutoff for liquids and give that dang IV every possible chance of going in the first time! I am a MAJOR baby about IV insertion. 

Also, take very little with you. I wore out the clothes I walked in with and other than my Sonicare, my own toothpaste and lip balm...nothing was needed. I was not allowed my own jammies and was not about to sit there surfing the net. I was either up walking or sleeping for the 15 or so hours I was there post-op. 

YAY FOR THE 14 day countdown!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics