In Praise of Being Strong

Karen R.
on 3/7/14 1:28 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

We all come to WLS with different (but admittedly similar) motivations.  Some have serious health concerns.  Others want to improve self-esteem or finally be able to buy clothes whose size don't start with the letter X.  I wanted to be healthier for sure, but I'll confess my biggest reason for wanting the surgery was so I could look better.  I've been heavy since childhood, but somehow wrestled my weight down in my early 20's to between 135 and 140, so I knew what it was like to better "fit in" with the skinny crowd.  I wanted to be able to do that again.

I had no interest in being stronger.  Or rather, the thought had never occurred to me.

When I started working out with Mark, my trainer, in August, that was a focus for him from the beginning.  He told me if I had more muscle, my metabolism would work faster and the extra skin I was bound to get (boy howdy!) would lay better over toned muscle than fat. 

I started with a body fat percentage of 40%.  I'm now down at 22%.  I'm 4-9 lbs. less than I was at my thinnest point previous, but my measurements are significantly smaller.  In my 20's, I was at 38-29-39 (and happy with that!).  Now, I'm at 34-27-34.  That's the difference that muscle makes in body composition vs. fat.

But what is better is the feeling of strength!  I did pullups for the first time ever last week.  Like a marine!  :-)  I'd never even tried before.  When Mark suggested it, I rolled my eyes and mumbled something about him enjoying my humiliation.  But up I got to the bar and boom--I'm going up and down without any trouble at all (well, okay...there was a little trouble--I could do 5 or 6 pretty smoothly, but had to work to get 7-10).  I was so proud of myself, I was beaming.

We've started deadlifting.  We'd actually begun incorporating that slowly months ago, but the weight was never all that challenging and Mark had elevated the bar for me so I wasn't truly lifting from the floor.  Last week, Mark set me up with barbell resting on the floor and let me have at it.  I could tell it was far heavier than before.  I did ten rep,s then asked, "How much am I lifting?"  He looked at the bar weight, then did some calculations and said, "You're lifting about 100 lbs.  Give or take a pound."

100 pounds!  That's mental.

Yesterday we did a session at the gym in my apartment building (I'd had a conflict on Thursday evening, which is our normal time).  We normally workout at my employer's gym, so he wasn't as familiar with the equipment here.  He set me up with a barbell and I lifted it, but it was much harder than what we'd done last week.  I was only able to do four reps.  I asked, "How much is this?"  Mark wasn't certain of the barbell weight itself.  So he went over and weighed it on the scale.  He said, "Oh, wow.  That's heavier than I'd thought it was going to be.  You're lifting about 115 or 116."

What?!

I felt like a superhero.  ;-)

I'm going to be 53 next month.  I have never been this fit in my life.  For those who are wondering if they're too old for this surgery or questioning just how much of an impact it can have on their lives, trust me--it's like night and day.

I'm beginning to like working out.

Who knew?  ;-D

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Brimiller808
on 3/7/14 1:39 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

I love this!  I hope to begin "seriously" working out soon. What an inspiration you are!

Karen R.
on 3/7/14 1:49 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Thank you!  I know everyone's finances are different, but if there is any way you can afford a trainer, even for a single session a week, I say go for it.  I owe my success to Mark.  I would never have had the knowledge or frankly the motivation to do this on my own.  He's made all the difference.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

tdbull
on 3/7/14 1:44 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
What an awesome post - and very inspirational. I have been thinking about a personal trainer to get me set up with some strength training to make myself stronger. I retire in July, won't be traveling as much, and think I could get into building some muscle. Congrats to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Karen R.
on 3/7/14 1:55 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

If you can afford it, definitely get a trainer.  I'd never had one before, nor had I truly understood the benefits before.  But having worked out with one for six months now, I wonder if I'd have been able to have the same results without one. 

Mark and I clicked, personality-wise right from the beginning (though we had to come to an understanding about what I could do from a dietary perspective post-WLS).  He keeps me motivated and keeps me challenged and doesn't ever let me say, "I can't do this."  When I struggle with reps, he say, "Okay, if you can't do 15, let's go for 10."  Or sometimes, he'll just say, "Do what you can do."  And I do.  :-)

What's best of all is, on those days when it would be so easy to think, 'Maybe I'll skip the gym tonight' I know he's there waiting for me.  I don't ever want to have to text him and say "I don't feel like it tonight."  I don't want to make excuses.  He holds me accountable.  I don't think I'd be able to be quite that tough on myself if it was me alone.

Best of luck!  Go for it!!

E R.
on 3/7/14 6:14 pm - Switzerland

Hello Karin. So happy you posted this. I have been making excuses and you have just confirmed to me that it is time to get out of the: " I am traveling so much, I cannot go to the gym" excuse. I have to just do it and you have inspired me. 

Well done! You are a wonderful motivator and inspiration.

RNY:  4 June 2013

MarilynDee
on 3/8/14 1:22 am

When I started working out with my trainer I was traveling constantly. He showed and taught me exercises that I could do in the hotel room using my own weight as a resistance. It works to.

Good Luck, DeeW

Karen R.
on 3/8/14 5:21 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Thank you!  I'm glad it you found it motivational.  :-)  I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in work and not take care of ourselves.

RNYGuyPA
on 3/7/14 9:47 pm
RNY on 12/27/13

Way to go Karen.  I've thought about a personal trainer before, but didn't want to put the money out.  Sounds like it might be a good investment.  Thanks for sharing.

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Karen R.
on 3/8/14 5:22 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Money is definitely a consideration.  A few years ago, I wouldn't have been able to afford a trainer.  I can now and it's definitely helped.  I realize though that's not a solution that works for everyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics