Complications...

Amorata
on 3/9/14 5:13 pm

I had my surgery over 6 months ago, and everything was going just as expected. Then one morning almost 2 weeks ago, I woke up in the most pain I've ever felt in my life. After making a trip to the emergency room... almost 2 weeks later, and I'm finally out of the hospital. The result is now I have to go for more surgery... but hopefully, as an elective surgery, rather than as an emergency one. The problem, apparently the RNY causes 2 'gaps' where the intestines would normally rest, as the intestines are re-routed for the by-pass. Now they have to 'close those gaps', because what caused the acute pain was the lower intestine wiggled up and twisted into one of those gaps, basically causing a blockage of anything going through it, which of course caused everything to back up. It backed right up into my remnant stomach and caused whatever backed up to burrow a hole right through the surgical line to my pouch. (This was probably the slight heartburn I was feeling in the days prior) This caused a 'leak', and when they all happened simultaneously, I thought I was going to die.

My advice to anyone considering this surgery. Continue to consider your options, but no matter your choice, listen to your body, and if something is out of the ordinary, seek your doctor's advice. I had never really had heartburn prior to surgery, except maybe once or twice in my life. I had very mild heartburn for the days leading up to this. It was a symptom of what was about to come.

Karen R.
on 3/9/14 7:26 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Oh, gosh!  I'm so sorry you had to deal with this, but I'm glad they figured out what was going on.  Thanks for sharing so others will be thoughtful about similar symptoms.  Take care!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/14 8:52 pm - Netherlands

in dutch, these gaps are called 'venstertje' (little window).  when i had my rny, a new female patient came to the ward to have surgery for her 'windows'.  she came in at 7am, was operated on at 10:00 (it took not all of 25 minutes) and back from recovery at 13:00.  she woke up and asked for tea and bread and we had a long an nice chat.  she was 4 years post op and had lost 64 kilos and kept it off.  at 16:00 she merrily said goodbye to us and walked energetically out of the hospital, on her way home.  she needed only some paracetamol to kill the pain, even immediately post op.  also, she showed me how the surgeon had neatly posed the 2 tiny holes below her navel, so it would not interfere with the tummy tuck she is going to have next month.

i guess it is not all that big a deal. ;)

Amorata
on 3/9/14 10:47 pm

Thanks for replying with an answer of something that someone else went through... For her, it may have been no big deal. For me, it was a big deal. I spent almost 2 weeks in a hospital while they poked, prodded and turned me black & blue while they attempted to figure out what the problem was. I went through hell and back. The pain I was in, was worse than giving birth to 2 children, from my experience. And to top it off, because I was stuck on IV fluids and everything else they can pump through an IV, I gained 35lbs of just fluid! Yes, I know it's jus****er weight, but when you work hard to take it off, and all of a sudden your clothes no longer fit, it's a scary & terrifying experience! So please... don't minimize what someone else has been through, until you lived it!

On the upside of your post. I am glad to hear that this surgery may be short, and preferrably a day surgery. I won't know the particulars of it until I go back for my follow-up next week, but I will be sure to enquire. I have already lost over 2 weeks of work, that was unexpected and caused me to change my planned time off at the end of this month, so not looking forward to planning time off again for another surgery.  

Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/14 11:58 pm - Netherlands

it is far from me to downplay your problem and i am sorry you feel i do.  excuse me for that. i was hoping to cheer you up but apparently i only made it worse.

it took the woman in question a long time too before they figured it out: she had had onsetting pains for a few months and had seen an internist and a gynaecologist.  finally they diagnosed her with 'windows' and then the cure was really fast.  sometimes it takes a longer time to figure out what is wrong.  the abdomen has so many organs in it, that it is not always immediately clear what is going on.

i had a complicated operation for my rny because the gallbladder had to come out as well and that turned out to be very complicated.  i have been on iv for a week and i had gained almost 20 pounds and i had only 1 pair of pants left that fit me.  plus you feel bloated and sick form the fluids.

i hope it will all sort out real soon and real well for you.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/10/14 6:10 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Goodness! Praying that you are healed soon!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics