Tired...6 days post-op

vagirl98
on 3/19/14 3:27 am - Halifax, VA

Hi I am 6 days post-op RNY done on 3/13/14. Have done pretty good the first few days was horrible with gas pains. Now I just have some minor soreness. The last two days I have been really tired. Sleeping in later and just no energy. I know everyone diet post op is different and I'm on Full Liquid with protein shakes. I have been getting in all my fluid and protein the last two days. Has anyone else experienced this. If so how long does it last? Thanks in advance

jazzycatz
on 3/19/14 4:12 am - Joppa, MD

I was tired most of the time for the first 2 weeks and off an on again for the first couple of months. The 2nd and into the 3rd month I would have nights were I hardly slept at all and then be exhausted the next day. So you would think I would sleep the next night but I wouldn't. I would have another night of hardly any sleep. Anyway, after I reached about midway through month 3 it got a lot better.

But this initial tiredness is just your body trying to get a grip on what it's just gone through. You should be fine in a few days, I would think.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/19/14 4:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I went back to work (on my feet, teaching at the university) two weeks after surgery.  Until I went back to work, I was very tired.  The first few weeks at work, I was pretty easily fatigued -- I'd come home exhausted.  I think it's really rather normal and expected after having your guts rearranged and then starved afterwards.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

vagirl98
on 3/19/14 5:18 am - Halifax, VA

Thank you for your responses. I feel better now knowing it's more normal to feel this way.

Racewalker48
on 3/20/14 1:45 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I would agree with previous posters.  I went back to work 2 weeks after surgery and was quite tired.  My energy levels increase every day, but at 4 weeks out, I am still a little tired.  I was not surprised and you have to consider that we are undergoing major surgery (even if it is laparoscopic) with anesthesia that can really wipe you out.  Hang in there, sounds like you are doing all the right things for yourself right now.  The energy will come back, it take time.

RainbowRN
on 3/19/14 5:48 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

you just had major surgery.  I was tired for 3 months. 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

southernpeachnc
on 3/19/14 8:51 am

Due to the anesthesia and the surgery it takes a bit to get back your strength.  I napped off and on and still slept thru the nights for some time.  You need to make sure you let your body heal.  There is an occassional person that will bounce right back but this doesn't appear to be the norm.  It sounds like you're doing great.  Make sure you keep Gas X on hand.  Take care!

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/19/14 8:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You just had major surgery.  Your body has been traumatized.  It is trying to heal from all the slicing and dicing that your surgeon did while you were asleep.   It is using your energy reserves for that purpose.

It will last until it doesn't anymore.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

tdbull
on 3/19/14 10:57 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Welcome and congrats on your surgery. Sounds like you're doing well - you've been thru a major surgery, so it is normal to be tired. Try to walk when you can and once you get on solids and get your total proteins in, you'll start feeling much more energy.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

SHMILY
on 3/19/14 3:19 pm

I think you would be just as tired if you had had a hysterectomy.....

Most Active
Recent Topics