Liquid Potassium

AnnyBananny
on 3/21/14 12:34 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

The surgery is done and I'm feeling pretty good. Had my RNY on Tuesday, home Wednesday. They did find that my potassium was very low in the hospital so I had several IVs of potassium before coming home, now I'm on a liquid potassium supplement at least through my first follow up visit - but it tastes HORRIBLE. Like thinking about having to have it again today is making me nervous. 

Has anyone had to use potassium chloride? Any suggestions for mixing it with something to make it more palatable? Thanks!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

poet_kelly
on 3/21/14 1:19 am - OH

My potassium was also low after my surgery.  I was prescribed potassium pills, though, not liquid.  They were big, I had to cut them in half.  They didn't taste bad, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 3/21/14 1:48 am

Yes.  I've had it .  My potassium was down to a little over a 1.  They told me it was at cadaver level.  In fact, they were so sure the blood test was wrong that they repeated it several times and then did an arterial blood draw.

I had a cardiac arrest (ventrical tachycardia), partly due to this.  Suck it up and take it by itself.  It absorbs better. I had several doses in the ICU and I know it truly does taste awful, but if you're on liquid instead of pills it is serious.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but just drink it like a shot of tequila or something and wa**** down with a strong tasting drink.  You don't want a close encounter with a defibrillator (sp?) believe me. 

Take care.

Racewalker48
on 3/21/14 2:22 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do to mask the taste, potassium chloride is one the worst tasting medications known to man!  I agree with a previous poster who suggested taking it like a tequila shot.  I hold my nose when taking nasty tasting liquids, it seems to help a bit.  Follow with a sip of water to wash the taste out of your mouth, that may help too.  Let's hope you can get and keep your potassium levels high enough to now need it soon enough.

Congratulations on your surgery!

BWB
on 3/21/14 5:10 am

Yes, I have one of the big white tablets too.  I bite in in half and chew fast and put some food in with it.  The taste isn't that bad when you follow up with water or tea.  My level was critcally low so I took two a day for one week and I'm down to one a day and will get retested in a week or so.  

christinalee
on 3/21/14 6:31 am - At Home in, NH

I had taken potassium chloride for years prior to RNY as part of the high blood pressure prescription meds.  I guess I'm the strange one, but I got the orange flavored liquid potassium and mixed it with about 4 ounces of water and slugged it down.  Over the years I was taking it, I actually  developed a liking for the taste and didn't mind taking it at all.  Sorry, I'm no help, but I think if you just slug it down (mix it with only a little water and don't slip, just shoot it) and not overthink it (getting yourself all nervous about it), you might be able to just slowly adapt.  It's important medication, and equally important to remember:  we CAN do hard things!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

MrsLitch
on 3/21/14 11:46 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

My doctor prescribes the powder form, to be mixed with water for every patient at surgery time. I'm not one to follow rules blindly but based on testing I did need to boost mine. They claimed it was berry flavored... ummm that's no berry I've ever tasted! I mixed it a tall shot glass, maybe 1.5oz? water, the potassium and about 1/4 of a package of orange crystal light and did it like a shot. Not going to lie, it sucked but I was at least able to get it in that way. I also kept a strong sf mint next to me and the minute the shot went down the mint went in. Good Luck!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Lovetocruz
on 3/22/14 7:44 am - Nashville, NC

In all my 59 years, I have never tried to take anything close to as bad as liquid potassium.  I refused it, then they gave me four pills at one time.  I was only 6 weeks out,so I took them with yogurt after breaking them in half and they went down well.  I took my time, allowing each piece some time.  It was soooooooo much easier than the impossible liquid.  The pills melt fast and  easy....you can do it.

Most Active
Recent Topics