Kidney Disease and RNY - Recommended

Alese M.
on 3/22/14 7:01 am - FL

Kidney Disease and WLS

Alese
on 3/21/14 9:31 pm - FL Michael A Perez

Hi Everyone....

I had a Pancreas/Kidney transplant 10+ yrs ago.  On July 30, 2013, I had a VSG....I knew my kidney doctor had mentioned that he had several pts who had the gastric by-pass (last year) while on dialysis...I was impressed but as I got to thinking with the absorption of anti-rejection meds, my decision to have the sleeve was b/c I was afraid these very important drugs wouldn't be absorbed.  The sleeve was just approved nationally last year so the pts that had the RNY most likely didn't have that option.  Also, the lap band is known to slip and not good to have as an option for anyone.

I have copied and pasted the website for the first-ever WLS study by my kidney doctor (in FT. Lauderdale, FL) in the world....My doctor supported my decision to have the VSG and here I am.

This post will not have any importance to many of you on this OH site but just a note to show how safe and effective it is to save lives and gain our health back!

http://kidneygroup.blogspot.com/search?q=GASTRIC+BYPASS+SURG ERY   If you scroll down after opening that post there is a BMI chart and even a diet including more info.  I had Type 1 1/2 Diabetes that  damaged my kidneys and was on dialysis.  I am also visually impaired due to uncontrolled Diabetes.    Take care and be well.  Hugs, alese inFL   

I, originally posted this article on the VSG, as that is what I had but not for my transplant.  My doctor totally approves of the RNY and now my VSG as at the time of the study the sleeve was not an option... 

alese in SE FL    

alese in SE FL    

melody_bratley
on 3/23/14 7:10 am - WI

I also had a kidney transplant 10 yrs ago in Madison WI University Hospital and  I will be having the VSG Im just waiting for insurance approval. My Dr. didnt feel Gastric Bypass was the way for me to go because of being on anti rejection drugs and because of having low iron. I have had low iron for 9 yrs now and get iron infusions 1 a year. Has your kidney been affected from having WLS. Has the protein drinks elevated your creat at all. 

Alese M.
on 3/23/14 9:59 am - FL

Hi Melody...

So nice to hear from you and Congrats on your kidney transplant.  

I agree with your doctor that the sleeve is the better option.  My problems were huge at the beginning but not with the VSG...at the beginning we can't eat or drink very much and that caused alot of dehydration but I don't think we could avoid that with any surgery....I went to the ER many times and rec'd the IV fluids.  Following the IV's at the ER and a couple of admissions, I would receive the IV's at home with  an at-home nurse (covered by my insurance).  The only drawback with that is the IV's are given for 10 days at 6 hrs per session.  Just in the last month, I was normal with my BUN at 21....Some OH ppl on here had no problems drinking all their water.  With the txp I drank 64 oz for 10 yrs (txp anniversary is April 21, 2003) so going on 11 yrs.  I've read on OH, where ppl have drunk 100 oz which my VSG surgeon recommends but I am sooo happy I am getting in the 64 oz.  !   :-D 

My main problem was the dehydration!  I am borderline on the hematocrit and globin

but only take one tab of iron everyday.  I do feel good.

At first, I was unable to take the large vits/min we are to take but eventually that has resolved itself and am able to take many pills at once a couple times a day.  My doctor said I could hold off on the large pills due to our throat being irritated and possibly swollen.

I am also 70 yrs old so alot of this can be my age....Don't let that stop you...The VSG is the way to go.  I've lost 77 lbs since July 30th, 2013-day of surgery...8 mos ago.  I am also 5'4.5" tall having lost 3 inches b/c of osteoporosis.  I have approx 20 lbs more to go...Getting slower now but at the beginning of wt loss it is a real "spoiler" as you lose quite quickly...or the 'honeymoon phase'.

On my doctors study he did this before the VSG was even mentioned until last summer....So there were no choices and I didn't want to jeopardise my txp b/c of the absorption of our anti-rej meds.

If you have any more questions, let me know....

alese inFL

alese in SE FL    

Alese M.
on 3/23/14 10:02 am - FL
Alese
on 3/23/14 4:59 pm - FL  

Hi Melody...

So nice to hear from you and Congrats on your kidney transplant.  

I agree with your doctor that the sleeve is the better option.  My problems were huge at the beginning but not with the VSG...at the beginning we can't eat or drink very much and that caused alot of dehydration but I don't think we could avoid that with any surgery....I went to the ER many times and rec'd the IV fluids.  Following the IV's at the ER and a couple of admissions, I would receive the IV's at home with  an at-home nurse (covered by my insurance).  The only drawback with that is the IV's are given for 10 days at 6 hrs per session.  Just in the last month, I was normal with my BUN at 21....Some OH ppl on here had no problems drinking all their water.  With the txp I drank 64 oz for 10 yrs (txp anniversary is April 21, 2003) so going on 11 yrs.  I've read on OH, where ppl have drunk 100 oz which my VSG surgeon recommends but I am sooo happy I am getting in the 64 oz.  !   :-D 

My main problem was the dehydration!  I am borderline on the hematocrit and globin

but only take one tab of iron everyday.  I do feel good.

At first, I was unable to take the large vits/min we are to take but eventually that has resolved itself and am able to take many pills at once a couple times a day.  My doctor said I could hold off on the large pills due to our throat being irritated and possibly swollen.

I am also 70 yrs old so alot of this can be my age....Don't let that stop you...The VSG is the way to go.  I've lost 77 lbs since July 30th, 2013-day of surgery...8 mos ago.  I am also 5'4.5" tall having lost 3 inches b/c of osteoporosis.  I have approx 20 lbs more to go...Getting slower now but at the beginning of wt loss it is a real "spoiler" as you lose quite quickly...or the 'honeymoon phase'.

On my doctors study he did this before the VSG was even mentioned until last summer....So there were no choices and I didn't want to jeopardise my txp b/c of the absorption of our anti-rej meds.

If you have any more questions, let me know....

alese inFL

alese in SE FL    

Most Active
Recent Topics