Up since surgery?!

AnnyBananny
on 3/23/14 1:02 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I had my RNY on Tuesday, so I'm not even a week out, but my scale is actually HIGHER right now than the morning of my surgery. I've got to say I wouldn't have expected this - especially seeing as I haven't had anything but clear, SF liquids for a week. Anyone have this experience?

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Cunning_Pam
on 3/23/14 1:14 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Yes, it's very common. When you're in the hospital and on IVs, you get a lot of fluid pumped into you. Fluid weighs a lot, so just about everyone comes out of the hospital weighing more than when they went in. I gained 11 pounds from my pre-op weight!

The good news is that you'll drop that weight pretty quickly. Within four or five days to a week, it should be gone. Keep up with your walking and make sure you're getting in at least 60 ounces of liquids per day, and you'll soon see the scale go down.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/14 1:23 pm
RNY on 03/10/14

To put it delicately...your system is also probably a bit "backed up" from surgery and pain meds. Go as easy as possible on the pain meds. They will definitely constipate you and that could be part of the weight increase. Don't worry - you WILL lose weight!

MyLady Heidi
on 3/23/14 5:11 pm

Yup like eleven pounds up after surgery.  It is fluid.  It pases.

JJ0609
on 3/23/14 9:50 pm

DO NOT PANIC! It takes time. Your body just went through major surgery and is resisting what happened. Once you start losing it will fly off. Stay off the scales for a little while and let your weight loss be a surprise not a demand. I am praying for you during your recovery. You cannot let the scale control your mind from the very beginning or it always will and that will take you down an unhealthy path. Good luck. Sincerely said!  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

RNY on 10/21/13

Yep, this happened to me, too. In fact, at 9-10 days after surgery, I weighed 2 lbs more than on the day of surgery. I had a lot of IV saline in the hospital and have no idea how much I gained in just fluids. My feet and hands looked like I was the Stay Puft Marshmallow woman! I decided to stay off the scale the first month because I have a history of seriously retaining fluids and being depressed when the scale doesn't move, so I thought it was best to stay off the scale. The good news is I just hit 5 months and I am so close to having lost 100 lbs I can taste it...I'm two pounds away! Woot!

Just keep following your plan, trust in yourself and your new tool...it WILL come off. I also suggest staying off the scale for awhile and give yourself a chance to heal and let everything in your body start fully functioning again. You've got this!

Best wishes.

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/14 11:11 pm
RNY on 12/16/13

My program tells us to stay off the scale from surgery until our two week follow-up.  We are pumped full f fluids and our bodies are adjusting to surgery.  Hang in there.  Keep following your plan and walking.  Best wishes!

White Dove
on 3/24/14 12:17 am - Warren, OH

At the hospital my nurse specialized in bariatrics.  Before surgery I was weighed.  After surgery, she accompanied me on my first walk and it was to the scales.  My weight had gone up by 19 pounds.  She explained that was part of the surgery and not to worry about it.  My surgeon just laughed and said to go home and pee it out.

The water weight was gone by the time I went for my 10-day checkup.

AnnyBananny
on 3/24/14 2:23 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Thanks everyone, super reassuring!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

grnidpapple
on 3/24/14 2:55 am

I had my RNY surgery tuesday also and my scale is finallydown but im still 2 lbs heavier then the day of surgery. Its all the IV fluids we got after surgery, plus swelling. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics