OA - Anyone?

Nova B.
on 3/25/14 3:34 am - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14

Years ago I had a real issue with Binging and they helped me get through it.  I'm thinking about going back while I'm going through this process in case any of that rears its ugly head again.  Anyone else find it helps you through WLS and after?  I don't remember anyone in the previous group having had WLS.  It was more about fat acceptance and being healthy.  I don't want to get into something where Ill get bashed.  I already go to the 2 local WLS support groups.  I would like to have one once a week, just for my own sanity.

Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 3/25/14 4:30 am

I went to OA for years and went back for a few months about 5 years ago when my eating was out of control with my first WLS.  I was open about my surgery and the fact that I obviously failed it since I was very obese at that time.  I don't go currently because of lack of meetings nearby but I am active in other 12 step programs.  It also seems to have splintered into other programs like Food Addicts Anonymous, which is all good but from what I read the abstinence rules are very strict and I know I could never live with them.  I have always done well knowing what my issues are and dealing with them as they pertain to me.  I can't do another persons "abstinence" any more then someone else could do mine.  Unlike other addictive substances, the food issues can be very individual, at least in my opinion.  I don't have an issue with artificial sweeteners, for instance.  Been using them all my life and use them now with no problem but from what I understand Food Addicts Anonymous forbids there use.  I don't need that kind of tight control.

In any case I feel strongly that a 12 step program can be very effective in dealing with addiction problems, whether it be food, drugs, alcohol or any other addiction.  Food, as I said, is a little trickier because of the need to eat to survive and I feel OA can help with dealing with compulsive overeating.  As for sharing your WLS I wouldn't hesitate at all but I have heard that some people at meetings are very judgmental about it.  My opinion is that WLS is not a cure for food issues but it may be a useful tool in overcoming them.  I don't see how it could do any harm in any case.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics