Protein shake after my surgery ?

Naomi P.
on 4/2/14 5:54 am
RNY on 04/21/14

I am doing the protein drink to shrink liver pre  op for 2 weeks and he said 1 week after . My question is could I order the unjury protein drink and drink it after instead.

•  

Karen518
on 4/2/14 6:00 am

I'm not sure what you mean by drinking it after instead, but I did a two week pre-op liquid diet with Unjury, and am almost two years out and have been at goal for a year and I have Unjury shipped to my house every month.  I drink one protein drink (I mix it with coffee) every morning.  I like to mix the chocolate and vanilla.  It's high quality protein and I like the taste.  I don't know why you couldn't keep using it.  Just know that something's that taste good to you before surgery might not agree with you after--at least not right away.

Good luck!

Naomi P.
on 4/2/14 6:22 am
RNY on 04/21/14

Why I asked is a lot of people here say how great the Chocolate Splendor is .i was just wondering if it is the same as my bariatric protein drink that he also wants me to drink 1 week after my surgery.which is vanilla and I thought that would be a change for after.just curious.....

•  

poet_kelly
on 4/2/14 6:44 am - OH

There is no reason you have to drink a vanilla protein drink for your pre op diet or after surgery.  there are about a million flavors from which to choose.   Something like Unjury, which is sugar free and has about 20 grams of protein and about 100 calories per serving, is a great choice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Naomi P.
on 4/2/14 6:54 am
RNY on 04/21/14

So you mean I didn't have to buy that bariatric powder off of them (Dr. ) .And I tried it it is awful . So I could order the unjury protein drink and it will shrink my liver just like that God awful stuff I bought off of them.  Please tell me this is true.  Waiting to here from someone so I can order it as I start the pre op on Monday.

•  

UNJURY
on 4/2/14 8:04 am - Sterling, VA

Hello Naomi

UNJURY is used/recommended for both pre-surgical and post diets around the country. If you google:   "unjury presurgical usage"   you will find a page on our website that discusses it.

If the supplement the surgeon recommended also contains vitamins and minerals, you will need to get those independently from the shakes if you use UNJURY as we don't believe it is best to put vitamins and minerals in the shakes.

Also know what your surgeon recommends for fiber.

Finally as you get very close to surgery - maybe 3 days - the diet might change again and specify a "clear liquid diet".   If that is the case, we believe that a clear liquid diet should be more than fluids.   It should have protein.  Why deplete yourself more just as you are about to have surgery, as you will need protein to heal.

If you have more questions, speak to the RD at your surgeon's office, or one of our RDs.  (    I am not a medical professional, but i talk to them : )    )

Does that help?  (PS...I might not be able to reply quickly)

Jerome at UNJURY(R) Protein

poet_kelly
on 4/2/14 8:08 am - OH

Any very low carb diet (liquid or solid foods) will shrink your liver.  Many surgeons recommend a liquid pre op diet, though.  But there is no reason you'd need to buy protein shakes from your doctor.  any good protein shake, very low in carbs and sugar, and high in protein, would work as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Naomi P.
on 4/2/14 9:00 am
RNY on 04/21/14

Thank you so much.....

•  

dccyr
on 4/2/14 9:11 pm

My surgeon only recommends unjury for pre and post surgery.  I used the vanilla, chocolate splendor and unflavored.  Now almost two months out, I'm also using Premier chocolate, my fave from Costco and approved by my nut.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 286 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 511 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 584 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 306 views
Recent Topics