Calories

grnidpapple
on 4/4/14 10:02 pm

Im 2 weeks post op and doing pureed food right now. I had a revision done from lapband and the doctor explained to me that the weightloss might be slower then someone that just had the rny done. But I have only lost 10lbs since surgery. Can  anyone tell me how many calories I should be getting in and maybe some suggestions on how to do that? Thanks!

JJ0609
on 4/4/14 10:27 pm

I would call and ask your doctor that way you are following the plan that is right for you. (ask about what plan you should be following too).  Sorry I could not give a definitive answer.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

southernpeachnc
on 4/5/14 12:21 am

You appear to have lost 5 lbs per week which is good.  You need to remember you retain alot of fluid from the surgery itself so you are fine. I think the majority of us at first try to stay around 600 calories daily.  We must put protein first and most want to get 60 + grams of it per day.  I'm surprised your doctor's program has not given you a plan to follow. You are not to drink anything when you eat and wait 30 min after eating before drinking anything!   You should phone their office and go over this with them.  Everyone's plan is different.  If for some reason you don't get this info from them come back here and we will go over some food plans with you. Do a search at this sight and you will see many suggestions.  

Look at the top of this page on the blue line and you will see a small magnifying glass icon. Press it and it will open up to let you search.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/5/14 12:53 am
RNY on 12/18/13

What does your surgeon's office say? Personally, I think you're too early out to be worried about calories, and that was the same answer I got from my dietitian when I asked that same question at about four weeks out. She told me to focus on two things: Get fluids in, and get protein in. Other than that, don't worry about it. Four weeks later when I called her with the same question, I was told to keep focused on those two things, but that I could shoot for anywhere between 600 to 800 calories. Nowadays, I aim for about 700 calories a day.

By the way, as was mentioned already your loss since surgery is great! 10 pounds in two weeks is not "only" anything! I know it's hard to get your bearings in the first couple of weeks after surgery, but you can do this. 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

gbsinsatx
on 4/5/14 1:15 am - San Antonio, TX
  • 1-2 Months After Surgery: I ate 500 calories a day
  • 3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • 7-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • 10-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • 13 Months to Goal Weigh: I ate 1200 calories a day (I reached my goal weight at 15 months out)

Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

kbinaz
on 4/6/14 12:11 pm

10 pounds in two weeks is awesome!  I also had revision from the lap band and I am definitely a slow loser.  I have lost 35 pounds in five months.  I have to exercise like crazy and eat exactly perfect to even lose that much!  You are doing great!  Don't worry about calories yet, and as was already suggested, follow your doctors plan.  You are doing great!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 294 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics