Questions Please :)

Kennerknecht
on 4/6/14 3:46 am

I currently have the lapband but am waiting for insurance approval to have it removed and revise to RNY, and i have a few questions from other that have had surgery. 

Vitamins-  My dr said i need to make sure i take any/all vitamins esp multivitamin daily because vitamin deficiency is much more possible

Recovery- I know it varies person to person but on average how was your recovery? I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old so im trying to accommodate helping hubby get things in place for them to make it easier for him. 

Protein- When i got my lapband i was under strict instructions to drink several protein drinks daily for the band. Is that the case with RNY? 

-I have an upcoming appointment with my dr and a seminar as well but i like to get stories from real people too :) 

Thank you a bunch!!!

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

JJ0609
on 4/6/14 4:18 am

You will take supplements such as a multi-vitamin, calcium citrate and iron, daily. You will drink shakes or eat protein bars to aid in getting in your protein not taken in through your meals but most people take in enough protein after a while that they stop supplementing with shakes and bars. Recovery takes a few days with someone checking in on you or helping you then a few weeks to get back to normal barring no complications. I hope I am telling you correctly. I am giving you a guesstiment since everybody is different. Good luck. Listen carefully during seminar/workshop.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

tdbull
on 4/6/14 9:10 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I revised last August - I did have a surgical complication, but it was the gallbladder and nothing to do with removing the band and doing RNY. This said, my recovery was about 8 weeks. I can tell you first hand that this was the best decision I ever made. Follow your surgeon's food plan phases to the letter and you will do great. I am on a schedule to assure I take all of my vitamins, drink my fluids and get my protein in. I lost all of my weight and more in just under 8 months. Good luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

kbinaz
on 4/6/14 11:57 am

I had revision from band to RNY in November.

Yes, you have to take vitamins, but it really isn't that many and becomes quite routine quickly.

My recovery was easy - I was pleasantly surprised!  I know there can be tougher recoveries but I bounced back quickly.  The one year old will be tricky (just like with any major surgery) and you'll need some help for a few weeks because of the lifting.  You are going to have to be organized beforehand because young kids will make it harder to fit everything in as you're learning your new lifestyle. (remembering to drink water, timing meals, measuring food - all those are made harder when you are busy caring for little ones)

Depending on your surgeons instructions, you may or may not have to drink protein drinks.  Generally people need them at first because it's hard to get the proper amount of protein without them.  I have always been a good eater, even since RNY surgery, so have been able to fulfill my protein needs with regular food - it takes some learning and education (which hopefully will be provided by your dr.) but if you eat the right things protein shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Some people just can't eat much food after surgery, and if you are one of those people you will have to supplement.  There are tons of choices, so you will find something you enjoy.  Right now the only time I drink protein drinks is if I feel like it or if I'm in a hurry and want to grab something fast.  (when I had lapband surgery I was instructed not to drink protein drinks at all!  It's amazing how different each doctor is!)

Good luck on your journey!  

Most Active
Recent Topics