I'm back, almost 18 months post op.

Jamie-Sue30
on 4/13/14 4:44 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Surgery date was October 24th, 2012.

I'm back.  I left the site for a very long time but wanted to get back on board again as I need to drop these last 34 pounds. Well at least that is the goal weight I've had in my head since day #1.

It was a very rough start for me, I ended up having my gallbladder removed 12 weeks after the bypass but I will tell you, I would do it all over again.  I have dropped almost 170 pounds and haven't gained a single pound back.

Things I find now. I don't eat enough. I feel guilty eating. I know I will struggle with these issues for the rest of my life. 

Anyways, the scale has been stalled at 214 for a long time, my guess is because I'm not eating enough.  How many calories/protein do you guys thing I should be getting in?  Should I be posting this somewhere else?

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 4/13/14 4:52 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

How many calories are you eating?  What do your meals look like?  Are you eating carbs?  If you want to lose you should be eating less than 1000 calories a day.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Jamie-Sue30
on 4/13/14 5:21 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Less then 1000 calories a day?????

JenniPenny
on 4/13/14 5:52 am - MN

I was told 1200-1500 calories per day for someone over a year out. I'm 12+ yrs out and I still stick to that as a general rule. Don't feel guilty about eating, not eating or whatever. We eat to get fuel

and keep us healthy. If you have body or food issues see a good psychologist who deals with food disorders. You don't have to go through life feeling like this ever time you eat. There is help out there.

We didn't get to be so overweight without issues of some kind. I do 1200 calories per day and 65 grams of protein daily to maintain. Lots of exercise and lots of water.

Jen 13 yrs postop RNY

Jamie-Sue30
on 4/13/14 6:54 am
RNY on 10/24/12

I'm trying to stick to about 1200 calories per day. But I am still at 214 pounds. Does it work differently after bypass?  I mean at 1.5 years out malabsorption should be gone.  My BMR and RMR are both about 1750. I am doing couch to 5k and do body weight training. Wouldn't it be the same as anyone else, if you don't eat enough, your body starts to think its starving itself and holds onto the weight? 

I am by no means perfect. I make mistakes, I drink coffee, I probably don't get enough protein somedays. I eat a cookie once in awhile, and I will eat half a sandwhich.  But for the majority of the time, I probably do eat less then I should be. My eating habits are nowhere NEAR what they used to be. I ate to be happy, to console myself, if I was mad, sad, happy, tired, etc etc etc. I try to avoid processed foods, limit carbs, I don't use fake sugar because I think its horrible for you, and I don't eat low fat foods. I have lost almost 170 pounds so I must be doing something right.  I just need to figure out what is stalling me now?

spkz007
on 4/13/14 9:28 am - Bay City, MI
RNY on 04/10/14

If your bariactric doctor has a dietician I would make an appointment and talk with her that way you get back on the right track and also help monitor what you are doing. I wish you the best.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/13/14 11:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't listen to the starvation mode craziness. And RMR calculators will not tell you how much to eat. If you have been the same weight for a long periid, you are eating just as much as you are burning. It's as simple as that. If you want to lose weight, you will need to eat less.

Weigh and track your food. Be precise, and use a good kitchen scale. Recoed everything. If you aren't, you are just guessing how many calories you are eating.

You've done great. Keep up the good work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jamie-Sue30
on 4/14/14 12:44 am
RNY on 10/24/12

That's the problem, I don't eat enough to equal what I burn. My RMR is what my body burns doing nothing basically, correct? So to maintain my weight I would have to be eating that much.

there are days I eat once a day, there are days I eat twice a day. Is it possible that my problem is I'm not taking in enough calories? I track calories and have tried to aim for 1200 cals but most days don't even hit that. I exercise 3 times a week doing couch to 5k and I also do body weight training. 

Grim_Traveller
on 4/14/14 4:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You are burning less than you think, and you are eating more than you believe.

If you truly were eating less than you were burning, you would be losing weight. It really is that simple. If you eat more, you will gain weight. If you want to lose, you must eat less.

Use a tool like myfitnesspal. Weigh and record every bite you eat. Track the calories. Make more of those calories protein instead of carbs. See exactly how much you are eating, and then if you are able to eat less, you will lose weight.

It can be very difficult to do, but it really is that simple.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 157 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics