Water after small snack

LoriLo45
on 4/18/14 1:58 am

Hi All,

This is probably a silly question but it keeps popping up in my head.  If you have just a tiny snack or bite of something do we have to wait for 30 mins to drink again? 

It's also really tough to get at least 64 ounces of water a day if I don't include my protein drink toward my liquid intake.  I have a water bottle with me at all times but does anyone have any other suggestions for getting in thier water?

Thanks,

Lori

Ladytazz
on 4/18/14 2:17 am

Yeah, I include any solid food into the wait 30 minutes to drink category.  No fun, I know but actually it helps me because I am always thirsty and I would rather drink then eat sometimes so it can help me say no to eating something between meals or planned snacks.  I don't usually have a problem getting in my fluids.  In fact I usually get in about a gallon a day except I hate plain water and I use drink sticks but what I do is drink at least 16 oz and usually 32 oz before I eat again, so it's breakfast, drink 16-32 oz, snack, more drinking, lunch, more to drink, dinner, drink again, snack, no more to drink or I will be up all night in the bathroom.

I also count all fluids, protein drinks, whatever into my count, even coffee even though some say not to.  But even if I didn't I almost always get in 100 oz of fluids.  In fact, my mantra almost from the beginning has been 100 grams of protein and 100 oz of fluids a day and I believe this is one of the reasons I lost so well and keep the weight off.  Other then protein drinks I try not to drink my calories, too.  I would rather chew them then drink them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LoriLo45
on 4/18/14 2:25 am

Thank you LadyTazz.  I think I will try drinking 16-32 oz between snacks/meals and see if that works.  I appreciate your response.

Lori

Ladytazz
on 4/18/14 3:14 am

I also wanted to add that you may not feel that thirsty right now and it may even be an effort to get in that much fluids but I was told that the more I drank the thirstier I would become and it was true.  At first it was an effort to drink that much but now it is just what I do.  People rarely see me without a water bottle in my hand.  I keep a case of bottled water in my car  so I always have some handy.  My water bottle is 32 oz and I can easily down that sucker in 5 minutes if I am really thirsty.  So getting in fluids isn't an effort any more.  In fact, I have to cut myself off around 7 pm or I will be up all right in the bathroom.  That is another thing I am getting known for, looking for the ladies room as soon as I go anywhere.  I actually won't go shopping in a place that doesn't have an easily accessible bathroom.  I wish I could figure out a way to get my bladder to hold more then a few ounces, or so it seems.  I was also told that the more I drank the more my body would get used to it and I wouldn't have to pee so often but so far that hasn't come true, lol

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 4/18/14 4:25 am - OH

There is no reason not to count all fluids as fluids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/18/14 2:51 am - OH

Personally, I don't always wait the full 30 minutes after a small snack (e.g. a 2-ounce cheese stick or half a container of yogurt) because it doesn't take such a small amount of food anywhere close to 30 minutes to work its way through the pouch, anyway.  

I also don't get physically hungry, though, and I eat 6-7 times a day by the clock, so the aspect of getting hungry earlier by drinking too soon after meals doesn't apply to me.  I still ALWAYS wait to drink after anything more than about an ounce of food, though, because of the slight chance of stretching the stoma by washing food through it.

I would just caution you that if you drink earlier after snacks, it might make it easier for you to want to drink early after meals as well. (I have to watch that.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JJ0609
on 4/18/14 2:56 am, edited 4/18/14 2:57 am

I follow suit behind LadyTazz. If I eat anything I wait 30-45 minutes before drinking. As far as water consumption goes, I start the morning with 2 bottles of water meds.,/vitamins, coffee, another bottle of water, coffee, breakfast followed by 3 bottles of water, snack 3 more bottles of water, a glass of unsweetened tea, lunch , meds./vitamins, 30-45 minutes, 3 bottles of water, glass of unsweetened tea, snack, 30-45 minutes coffee, dinner, snack, meds./vitamins, bedtime.  Hope this helps!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

poet_kelly
on 4/18/14 4:24 am - OH

Well, there is no reason not to count your protein drink toward your liquid intake.  It is a liquid, isn't it? 

If you want the food to stay in your pouch and keep you feeling full for a while, you need to wait to drink.  If you don't mind washing the food out of your pouch and getting hungry fast, then I guess you can drink right away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics