Getting Protein from Food Only

selhard
on 4/18/14 8:55 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

NUTS would think getting your protein from food is the preferred way and is very do-able early out so hats off to you.  My problem with a protein shake is quite the opposite of yours---a morning protein drink is how I look forward to starting out my day.  It's also taken a while to perfect and have decided I won't forego something so healthy... made in a Nutribullet consisting of kiefer, flaxmeal, wheatgerm, milled chia seed, frozen spinach leaves, frozen berries, frozen banana, and Unjury protein powder.  

danslillady
on 4/18/14 10:21 pm

At almost 5 months out, I haven't had a shake or protein bar in I can't remember when.  I get all my protein from dense proteins and plain greek yogurt, which has 20g of protein per 6 or 7 oz.  I struggle more some days than others but I mostly make 80g a day.  It is doable but there isn't room for any extras!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

dragonlove
on 4/19/14 6:23 am
RNY on 11/20/13

After a few weeks, I rarely had a shake.  I got my protein from food. If you make good protein choices it is doable.  It probably makes a difference what eating schedule you are on with your plan. Mine was 3 meals and 2 snacks so even if I just had my dannon greek light & fit yogurt 5 times a day, I would have gotten 60 grams! (5x12).  No, I didn't do that, but use MyFitnessPal to figure out the protein in your other foods.  What level of food are you at? Some plans are very cautious and some are aggressive.  Mine was aggressive - I was eating soft foods in 3 days and pureed in a week.  Some people stay on soft foods for several weeks.

I personally have got some really yummy shake recipes going on now and I have them as either treats or when I'm running a little low on my count for the day.  One shake I fix gives me over 30 grams of Protein for about 1.5 cups of shake with less calories than most meals.

My Nut says shakes are fine, but shouldn't be the main source of food, other people are forbidden shakes.  It varies a LOT.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

everlasting
on 4/19/14 12:50 pm

Thank you for this thread. I have had a really hard time with protein shakes post op. Some of it may be due to my complications. At 5 weeks out I have given up on protein shakes. I can not stomach them for any reason. During my last hospital stay, the only thing I was lacking was potassium (which was corrected during my stay). Hopefully on Monday I can move to soft foods. I am going to have to get all of my protein from food, nothing else will work! Glad to see that other people are making it happen. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views