Date set-nerves & breastfeeding questions

Ladybug81
on 4/21/14 12:33 am

Hi, I mostly lurk on here. I got approved by my insurance it took 4 days and I have a date set for RNY April 29, that's right around the corner. I am so terrified bordering on second thoughts. I know I'm going through with it but I'm just scared about what's to come. Scared of failure, scared of success, just scared. I meet with my surgeon on Apr 23 I guess to go over what will happen. I originally wanted DS but my insurance would not cover it and because of my husband potentially changing jobs soon I didn't want to fight it. I can't sleep, just up late watching YouTube videos, lol. One question I wanted to ask, it won't change me getting surgery, but I guess I will definitely have to wean my daughter right? She is 15 months old so she's not an infant but any mama knows how emotional weaning is for mama and baby. Right now it's harder for her than me but I'm going to be in the hospital for 2 days so I will probably dry up, as I don't have a whole lot left anyway, she only breastfeeds to get to sleep of if she's upset. Also the meds will be in my system and my diet will be changing. 

Ladybug81
on 4/21/14 12:36 am

Oh my weight is 265 and I am 5'4" so I should be able to be successful? I have seen YouTube videos and they are mostly over 300 and are very successful. I am worried because there were a number of RNY failures at my info class, that terrified me.

LiViAnN_mommy
on 4/21/14 2:51 am - Citrus heights, CA

I can't answer the breast feeding question, but I think your right, but I can tell you that I am 5'4" as well and I was 250 and lost 110lb and did well for about 4 years. I gained weight because depression and going back to old habits. You will do great if you stick with it and listen to your doc! Good luck! 

Louise1974
on 4/21/14 3:09 am

For breastfeeding there are really three issues, the first is that you will be in the hospital for two days, that could affect your milk supply.  I suppose you could pump but man, I wouldn't have wanted to do that when I was post op.  The second issue is your nutrition post op, you will be eating very little and that will affect your milk supply.  But if you are only breastfeeding to sleep or here and there during the day, you are probably producing very little now.  I have friends who had surgery (not wls) or went away for a few days and kids *****ally wanted to keep nursing for comfort just continued regardless of whether milk was up or down or whatever.  She doesn't need the nutrition anymore (though obviously every little bit helps).  the third issue is the meds, you would have to check about the pain meds but I think they do cross the barrier into breastmilk.  But once the meds clear your system she could go right back to nursing, there might not be much milk left but it sounds like she is really nursing for comfort anyway. 

The bigger issue in my mind is that I am not sure you are going to want to be nursing immediately post op, your body will feel crummy and uncomfortable and I really would not have wanted a 15 mo old crawling on me.  If you really want to keep on breastfeeding and take your time with weaning maybe you could postpone.  Post op you may be a little emotional, the anesthesia, pain, recovery, massive food changes, all those things tend to make people emotional.  I would just think hard about whether you want to deal with the emotional stuff around weaning too. 

I was 5'3" 245 lbs.  I have lost 100 pounds, it took about 10 months to lose the weight and I am now 19 months out.  I have two little girls and it is wonderful to be a mama without pain and so much extra weight.  I climbed into a bouncy house last week to rescue my littlest.  I had to climb the climbing wall to get her and I was totally at ease.  It is the best thing I have ever done.  But it was not without challenge.  But you are a mama, you know all about challenges, we can do hard things!

Ladybug81
on 4/21/14 5:58 am

Thanks for your replies ladies. No I definitely do not want to post pone, lol. This is why I waited until she was after a year old to go through the process. It's time for me to take care of me now. I am super excited about the prospect of being able to do so much more without pain and complaining. I have 4 kids and if it's not pain limiting me it's embarrassment of going out being so heavy. I will definitely try really hard and follow the plan.  My healthy BMI is 145 lb and my low goal is 130 to give me room for weight gain. From my understanding I will reach a low and then gain a little bit back. I don't know if it's unrealistic, but I will really work. I've done weigh****cher mostly and other diets and the problem wasn't lack of trying it was sticking to it and also working my butt off and the scale not budging. I'm hoping that the RNY will be a tool to catch me when I slip up and help me stay encouraged by the number going down.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 386 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics