I am loving my new way of eating/cooking!

Louise1974
on 4/24/14 11:04 am

I have had a wild few months!  I had a wacky medical problem (unrelated to rny) that really restricted what I could eat for a while.  But there was a silver lining, I remembered vegetables!  I am 19 months out and have been so focused on "protein first" that I haven't been doing much with veggies.  Well, a month or two on a meat and vegetable diet will turn that around in a hurry! 

so this is what I have been doing, once or twice a week I cook every veg in my fridge.  I saute, steam, roast, shred, braise, whatever.  Then I put everything in containers in the fridge.  At meal times I pull it out and line it all up on the counter, load up my plate with whatever looks appealing, add some protein (beans, hamburger patty, egg, tuna, fish) and I am set.  sometimes I eat it all like a salad with some olive oil and lemon juice or sometimes I heat it all up.  I have been eating THE MOST AMAZING MEALS.  And my kids love it, they think they are living in one of those buffet restaurants.  I will put some shredded cheese or salad dressing, bread or grain out for them to round out their meals a little better.

Tonight was a major fridge clean out.  I have my CSA farm distribution tomorrow so I am trying to make room.  In one and a half hours I made, steamed asparagus broccoli and butternut squash, roasted parsnips, roasted beets, cole slaw, sauteed onions and swiss chard in tomato sauce, braised red cabbage, and roasted green cabbage (holy incredible by the way).  For dinner I put the swiss chard tomato sauce over the roasted cabbage and added chick peas.  I had a few of the roasted parsnips and beets on the side.  Incredible.  Delicious.  I had forgotten all about how good veggies were.  And when they are all lined up and cooked in the fridge it is so easy to just throw a GREAT meal together. 

Even before rny my husband would tease me that I had strange tastes in food, so maybe I am the only one who likes eating this way.  But I figured I would share because it is working so well for me. 

Gypsyqueen5
on 4/24/14 11:32 am - Seattle, WA

Yea for you. How do you make your Butternut squash? Have any good recipes ?

SeattleSeagirl

Louise1974
on 4/24/14 12:14 pm

Tonight I just steamed it in cubes.  but my all time favorite butternut squash recipe is for Sante Fe Stew from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.  It is awesome!  I think it is wls friendly, I would probably add more beans to make sure it was heavy on the protein.

http://www.vegerecipes.com/index.php?topic=270.0

Gypsyqueen5
on 4/24/14 2:11 pm - Seattle, WA

Thank you!

SeattleSeagirl

BWB
on 4/24/14 12:04 pm

That is an excellent suggestion.  I love leftovers and do a version of what you are doing.  I can get 2 meals and a lunch out of a large chicken breast and with the broth from the bones I can get a soup.  Groceries are so expensive that everything has to be used.  It challenges my creative side.

tdbull
on 4/24/14 1:28 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I just finished eating and now my mouth is watering. Your creations sounds amazing. And much better than throwing food out. I'm going to try this bc I eat veggies or salad about twice a day. Thanks for the ideas!!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
Recent Topics