What one thing do you wish you'd known?

Missella20
on 4/24/14 8:55 am
RNY on 07/11/13

The main thing is the limitations of pills that I can take. It was very overwhelming to me...the amount of vitamins I now need to take daily, the daily schedule for vitamins for the best absorption, and now the fact that I can't take ibuprofen. I didn't understand the full extent of the change that I was making. 

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

joansch
on 4/24/14 10:57 am

Yes, I've heard that Nsaids won't work about RNY. Too bad, since that's usually my headache drug of choice.

I admit, the thought of all those vitamins, etc, for the rest of my life is a little daunting.

Thanks -

Joan

MsBatt
on 4/24/14 11:49 am
On April 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM Pacific Time, joansch wrote:

Yes, I've heard that Nsaids won't work about RNY. Too bad, since that's usually my headache drug of choice.

I admit, the thought of all those vitamins, etc, for the rest of my life is a little daunting.

Thanks -

Joan

The vitamin thing is easy, once you form the habit. I take supplements 4 times a day, and at 10+ years out, I never ven think about it---I just do it. (*grin*)

As for NSAIDs---you'd be surprised how many things contain NSAIDs. Google it! If NSAIDs are important to you---and keep in mind that as we age we tend to need them more and more---you should also research the forms of WLS that preserve the pylorus and allow you to still take them. (VSG/Sleeve and DS/duodenal switch.) I knew that I would always require daily NSAIDs to function, so I went with the DS.

I put off having WLS for several years, because I thought the RNY was my only option. I wasted those years because I didn't know about the DS.

cabin111
on 4/24/14 9:14 am

Those who lose a lot (get near or reach goal), the mental side of WLS is harder than the physical side.  Society treats you different.  Your self esteem goes way up.  It can really throw you for a loop.  At 300 pounds women wouldn't look at me...They gave me extra distance walking bye...Like I was a criminal or something.  At 190 #, women would make eye contact, say "hello", come up and flirt with me.  I wasn't ready for that mentally.  Now at about 225 I'm just a normal guy and no one has a reaction one way or the other.  But again, if you lose a ton of weight, the mental side becomes hard to wrap your mind around...

Daisydoo02
on 4/24/14 9:30 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I agree with your post 1000%!!! I forget to write that part!  The mental game is unreal!  The centre can't prepare you at all for that part.  Like cabin11 said, pre surgery people avoided me, I was the "fat girl" in the group, guys walked right by me to talk to my pretty skinny friends.  Now at 150 lbs I get too much attention from men (I am happily married) and I am not prepared for that.  I am also struggling with what I see in the mirror every day it does not match what my brain sees, that still sees an obese girl.  I am also having a hard time accepting all the compliments and the "OMG look at you!!" from co workers, family, friends. Its a bit much at times.  The Mental game is hard, eating, exercising, taking vitamins, that's nothing compared to what this does to you mentally and emotionally. Just to confirm I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat, but it is hard.  Cabin11 hit the nail on the head!

joansch
on 4/24/14 10:58 am

That's interesting. I've lost a lot of weight before, and had forgotten how it changes people's reactions. That is something I'll have to get mentally ready for -- I can imagine that it can be harder than losing the weight and sticking to the new eating rules.

Thanks --

Joan

Elle_Bear_Fabulous
on 4/24/14 1:54 pm

Mentally I think you will be fine. I had lost a lot of weight before and I don't think of those diets as failures but training for what I am doing now. You have already trained your mind how to eat healthy from previous diets but it's just the first weeks you have to get through while getting your stomach back up to full speed with whole foods. My helpful hint with that is just add flavor somehow. If you can add a spice and your doc is okay with it then it could help you not get bored with the types of food you are stuck with eating. Also, once you do move onto other food groups, try new foods (once comfy). My taste pallet has changed but I think of it as a good thing. I still like the things I used to like but now I like more. This helps steer me away from sweets because there may be a healthier food out there that I like better. 

But back to your original question. I wish someone had told me about the 3 week stall. Some people will stall at 3 weeks and won't lose weight for sometimes up to 3 more weeks. I wish I had known that. It was quite a blow when I found out. Also, I wish I had known that my body will lose weight (let's say 20 pounds) and then stop but that is the time I lose inches so that my "skin" can catch up with the weight loss. It's a good thing :). Good luck!

RNY- 4/02/2014

joansch
on 4/25/14 1:04 am

Good info about the 3-week stall -- it will come in handy when it hits me.

Thanks for all your comments -- I appreciate it!

Joan

Daisydoo02
on 4/24/14 9:23 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi there, I love your profile pic, the paw print, I have two dogs, so that really made me smile!

Wish I had of known:

1. I wish I had of know how much my taste buds were going to change post surgery.  Pre surgery I was a sugar and chocolate addict. Now I can't stand the stuff. Pre surgery the brand name "Premier Protein Shakes" I loved, post surgery I could not get a sip down, it tasted like dirty socks to me.  I only crave savoury, spicy food now.

2. I wish I had not spent a ton of money buying food and a huge tub of Protein powder that I could not even stand (again tastes buds change).  My centre had us buy all this food and vitamins pre surgery and I did not like any of it and all of it was disgusting me to.   Literally I could not stomach it. It was such a trial and error thing and it got expensive as I tried a food or protein powder/shake and was like "NOPE" not that one.  Now I am fine but I went through a lot of stuff to find a happy medium.

3. Wish I had of known just how tired and how long the recovery process was going to take. I truly thought that a week or two post op I would be back at work and back to my old routine.  Not so at all.  I ended up taking six weeks off from work, I had no energy and napped several times a day. It was close to three months post op before I felt normal again.

4. Wish I had not thrown out all my "small" clothes a few years ago as now I am going down sizes so fast I need all the spare clothes I can get.  Find a Goodwill or a family/friend who is smaller than you and willing to loan you some clothes for a few weeks at a time, that is how fast I am going through sizes.  

What would I do different:

I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS SURGERY YEARS AND YEARS AGO if I had of know how many benefits I was going to get out it.  I am beyond thrilled with how amazing I feel,  I feel like I got my life back, my confidence is back and I am so happy.

Best of luck on your journey,

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

joansch
on 4/24/14 11:02 am

All good things to think about. It will definitely be an education learning what I can/want to eat and what won't work for me.

Interesting about the long recovery process. I guess I was anticipating heading back to work with no problems after 3 weeks -- I'll re-think that and do what I need to do for myself.

Luckily, I've hoarded clothes in lots of sizes (tops, anyway), but I plan on making Goodwill a regular stop.

Glad you like the paw print! We have a Shepard/Akita mix named Coco. What are your dog?

Thanks!

Joan

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 293 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 462 views