What one thing do you wish you'd known?

Ehbeagle
on 4/24/14 10:55 am - Virginia beach, VA

I wish I had known about the hair loss part.  At 45 I already have thinning hair (even though pre-kids I had thick, beautiful hair).  My center did not mention it at all:-(. It would not have changed my decision, but at least I could have prepared mentally for it.  The only thing I would have done different is I would have done it sooner.

joansch
on 4/24/14 12:08 pm

I'm aware of the potential for hair loss. I'm not vain about much, but I am about my hair, so it does give me pause. I'll be ready in case it happens.

Thanks.

Joan

alaskasusan
on 4/24/14 10:58 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I wish I had known that my (otherwise WONDERFUL) surgeon is so against prescribing anti-nausea meds.  That was a big issue for me post-op and it was only due to the pressure from my son and daughter-in-law that I got any relief.  Plan ahead for sure!!  Other than that, this site gave me a LOT of pre-op info and I still learn every day.  Good luck to you!!

joansch
on 4/24/14 12:09 pm

That's a good point -- I'll make a note to ask my surgeon about meds.

Thanks.

Joan

nicoletta84
on 4/24/14 11:41 am

Research research research!! Think twice and cut once. I was so desperate to lose weight  took the first surgeon that would do my surgery. I had gastric bypass in 206 and only lost 20 pounds YES 20 pounds after gastric bypass rny.. well am off for my revision 8 years later. I'm going may 8 in 2 weeks to revise my pouch that was never created small enough years ago. Good luck with everything. Bypass does work wonders when performed by a skilled surgeon. Unfortunately I chose someone not too skilled.

joansch
on 4/24/14 12:11 pm

You are so right. I did a lot of research in my area to find the best, most highly-rated surgeon and that's who I'm going to -- even though it is inconvenient to drive to his hospital and clinic. It's worth it.

Thanks, and best wishes to you.

Joan

tdbull
on 4/24/14 1:41 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Wish I had known how much the loose skin would bother me and has cost me in cosmetic surgeries. I feel awesome, but if your skin hangs like mine, it might bother you enough to endure more surgeries.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

jilliebean321
on 4/24/14 3:13 pm

I had the VSG. But still i wish i had savored the foods i ate before surgery. Pizza, mexican, chinese, Big Mac's etc. They dont taste as good now. Mainly because they dont sit nice, and you can only have a bite before the regrets set in. I suppose both a blessing and a curse. 

Laura in Texas
on 4/25/14 1:33 am

I wish I had believed I could get to goal and stay here. I think I got stuck on the "You will only lose 70% of your excess weight" quote that gets thrown around. This drove me crazy worrying I would never get to goal.

And remember that losing weight does not make life "perfect" but it does make it easier to deal with life's problems as they arise.

I am so thankful for my RNY. Life is great.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

joansch
on 4/25/14 4:54 am

Interesting thought -- not to let "standard" results limit how we end up. I think people should get to the weight they feel comfortable at, and if that's a little more or less than "normal", that's OK.

Thank you!

Joan

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 7 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 357 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 355 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views