What do you eat when you go to the movies?

RainbowRN
on 4/28/14 5:28 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I still eat popcorn.  That is my one treat that I indulge in whenever I go to the movies.  I usually get a small popcorn and split it with my wife.  It's just enough to give me that taste that I love.  I know that others have said that they make their own popcorn at home and take it in but that doesn't even sound good to me.  Probably because the movie popcorn has more fat in it but I only go to the movies like once a month so I'm not concerned with eating that special treat once a month.  It doesn't make me crave other carbs either.  So what do you all eat?

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

poet_kelly
on 4/28/14 5:37 am - OH

I used to eat movie popcorn.  I only go to the movies a couple times a year so I don't care about the fat or calories.  But it started making my blood sugar crash.  So now I roast chickpeas at home and take those with me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ready4Change1219
on 4/28/14 12:13 pm

The chickpeas sound interesting to try, you mind sharing your recipe??

poet_kelly
on 4/28/14 12:15 pm - OH

Buy a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans).

Drain and rinse. Put a towel on a baking sheet, spread the beans on the towel and pat dry.

Remove the towel, drizzle with olive oil (or just spray with cooking spray), stir, and spread out in a single layer.

Bake for about 50 minutes at 400 degrees. Yeah, they take a while. Stir three or four times during baking.

Take out of the oven, season however you like, stir, and eat. Yummy!

I like them with salt and some creole seasoning. It's kind of spicy. I've also done them with parmesan and garlic powder, and with cinnamon and splenda. I like them best right out of the oven. They don't taste as good to me if I save some for another day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/2/14 1:25 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

This sounds good! Thank you for sharing :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/28/14 7:13 am, edited 4/28/14 7:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Since surgery, I don't take anything to the movies.  I go to watch the movies -- not to eat.  In the 9 months pre-op, I would take popcorn I popped at home with olive oil sprayed on with salt.  

Maybe you could try roasted chickpeas, a 1/4 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds or a string cheese.  Do you like any of those things?  Would you like popcorn you made if you seasoned it up?

I am attaching this link:

theater-popcorn-a-calorie-bomb!

"Researchers found movie theater popcorn offerings range from 400 to 1,200 calories, with one to three days' worth of saturated fat and up to 1,500 milligrams of sodium."

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

RainbowRN
on 4/28/14 7:29 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I go to see the movies too but I really love the whole popcorn experience.  Sounds weird but I've been doing it since I was a kid and it just gives me good memories.  LOL :)  I have brought almonds in before also.  I know that the popcorn is crazy high in fat but I don't eat very much of it and its usually a once a month kinda deal.  It works for me.  Its my treat.  I'm almost 14 months post op and I'm down 152 lbs.  I must be doing something right.  Had a bad patch around the holidays but I'm back to normal now.  I don't do candy at all.  Thats one thing that I don't indulge in.  I do sneak in a bottle of vitamin water zero in my purse LOL :)  I start drinking it about 40 minutes after my popcorn. 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/28/14 7:54 am

I go to the movies about once a year or once a year and a half (boy, am I exciting or what?). I ate some popcorn the last time I went. I made someone else hold it and put a small portion in a napkin so I could control the amount, otherwise I knew I would eat way too much. I seldom eat it at home, though, since I get RH. I like it, but it doesn't like me, which is probably a good thing for me.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Gwen M.
on 4/28/14 10:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My partner is a movie addict, so I quickly realized that if I ate every time we went to the movies I would gain 10 pounds a month, easy :P  I find it super easy to skip snacks at the movies all together now.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 4/28/14 11:17 am

Sometimes I eat the movie theater popcorn, sometimes I bring in my own (because I am cheap), and sometimes I bring in a protein bar. Depends on my mood or what the scale said that morning.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views