Blood work

WandaW
on 4/28/14 7:30 am - Hartsville, SC

I had RNY June 30 2008 and lost 150lbs. But my surgeon left the practice in 2010 and they didn't have anyone come in to take over until 2011. By then I didn't have any insurance and no way to pay for blood work to be done. Now I am on Medicare and I need to have blood work drawn but not sure what I need.  I have not seen a surgeon since mine has left.  My family doctor has been looking after my iron count and last year I had to under go Iron transfusions because mine went too low. What I need to do is get back on the wagon and get my blood work drawn but I need to be able to tell my family doctor what I need so it can be drawn.  Any help is well appreciated.  I have to have a bone scan done since I recently broke my hip. 

poet_kelly
on 4/28/14 9:14 am - OH

Here is what I get done:

CMP

Lipid Profile

CBC with differential

B12

Bili-direct

Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

PTH

Magnesium

Folate

Thiamine (B1)

B6

Vitamin E

Vitamin K

Uric Acid

Vitamin A

Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)

Zinc

Phosphorus

Copper

Selenium

Prealbumin

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dee317
on 4/28/14 10:25 am

We are soo lucky to have you Kelly on here at OH!!!!  You rock!

OldmanJim
on 4/28/14 12:08 pm - AZ

Hi Kelly, long time no see.  Do we really have to have all of these tests?  I mean is there a top ten that you must have every so often?

I had a few tests done as part of a check for Peripheral Neuropathy.  I have it in my feet and lower legs.  The were Vitamin B12       1921 H

Hemoglobin A1c     5.1

Estimated average glucose     100

Vitamin B6, Plasma      18.1

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy, Total     63.2

And the test for Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)  hadn't come back yet.  I'll have call on that one.  What do you think?

Thanks, Jim

poet_kelly
on 4/28/14 12:12 pm - OH

If I was going to give you a top ten list, I guess it would be:

1. CMP

2. CBC with diff

3. Lipid profile

4. Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)

5. B12

6. Iron

7. Ferritin

8. Thiamine

9. Zinc

10. Vitamin A

But I'd be concerned about some of the things not included in that list.

Do we really have to have all the ones I listed?  Well, you don't have to.  You don't have to have any labs done at all if you don't want to.  I think that would be really unwise, though.

The only ones on my list that I think are probably "optional" would be vitamin E and selenium.  It would be pretty rare to be deficient in those.  If you wanted to strike more, I'd probably take off vitamin K and B6. 

But really, I feel most comfortable getting the full list done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

OldmanJim
on 4/28/14 12:28 pm - AZ

Thanks again.

WandaW
on 4/28/14 9:09 pm - Hartsville, SC

Thank you so much now to get him to run it. 

Have a great week.  I will let you all know how it goes.

mcrowder
on 5/14/14 12:03 pm - NC
RNY on 05/03/13

Kelly: the test you have done can you explain what each of them tell you?  I get a lot of them but would like to discuss the ones I don't get with my doctor.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 69 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 69 views