Vacation After Surgery

meganmcg
on 5/4/14 8:13 am

Hi everyone.. I had a question about going on vacation after surgery. I know everyone's bodies and recoveries are different, but I was wondering how practical it is to think I'll be able to go on vacation 5 weeks after surgery. My tentative surgery date is July 2nd (if insurance approves), and our vacation is planned for August 8th. I'm worried about riding in the car for 12-14 hours, but we are planning on stopping for the night on the way there so it will be split at least for the way there. I'm also worried about going in the water (we're going to Myrtle Beach- so ocean/pool). I'm having RNY done laparoscopically, and I've been thinking positively that I'll have a speedy recovery. I want to make sure I'm not being unrealistic.

AR_Queen
on 5/4/14 8:20 am
RNY on 05/29/13

Everyone is different, but I would have been fine at 5 weeks going on this type of vacation.  I would say take along foods that you can eat on the drive (protein bars, shakes, string cheese, etc) so you are prepared for meals/snacks.  Also, pack enough of these items to supplement what you will buy to eat during your vacation so you are covered.  I have traveled several times since my surgery, and this really helps to make sure that I have enough of the right kinds of foods to stay on my plan.  Also, make sure that you pack your exercise clothes/shoes to get your workouts in :).  And have fun!

tdbull
on 5/4/14 8:34 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I flew home from MX 7 days after surgery. If you don't have any complications, you should be just fine. Also, I don't know what your food plan phases are, but at 5 weeks I was starting to eat solid foods. so you should be able to eat more foods, walk and get some exercise, drink normally and sleep in a regular bed by then.
I don't know about going into the water - I think my surgeon said no soaking, swimming, hot tubs for 6 weeks, but just check with your surgeon on this.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

southernpeachnc
on 5/4/14 8:53 am

I too would have been more than fine to make that kind of trip. I was driving myself in 3 days with no problems. I love Myrtle Beach! As far as swimming you should just call your doctor's office and ask the nurse.  I believe I would have been ok for the pool maybe not the ocean but I'd ask them to be sure.  

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

AnnyBananny
on 5/4/14 10:02 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Personally I would have been ok, but the drive would have been...uncomfortable. At that point (which was only two weeks ago LOL), I was still uncomfortable if I sat in the same position for too long - so I would definitely recommend planning stops at least every 2 hours so you can get out and move around and stretch a bit.

As others have posted, you'll have to check with your surgeon about going into the water - I was not to go in a pool or bath until 6 weeks and the PA at my practice was super serious about it. I was there at like 5.5 weeks out and asked if I could go in the pool at my gym and she said something like, "It would be best if you waited until you were really 6 weeks out."

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Grim_Traveller
on 5/4/14 12:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Check with your doc, but you should be ok. Plan your eating in advance, and plan for naps. You'll probably run out of steam quicker than you think.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 5/4/14 12:31 pm

I would have been fine doing that at 5 weeks. As others have said, stop along the way to stretch and take nap in between.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

basilmk
on 5/4/14 2:13 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I was driving a number of hours each day for work two weeks out with no problems.  By five weeks, barring any unforeseen problems, you should be good to go.

Good luck and have fun!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active
Recent Topics