Two years+ out and trying to get back on track

divadelya
on 5/7/14 9:02 am - NC
RNY on 02/01/12

I had my surgery on 2/1/2012. I was 272 when I had my surgery and I am now 204.  I want to get to 175.  I can now eat more food and have no problem eating sugary foods part of the time and the other part of the time I get nauseous after eating sugary foods.  My cravings are very strong and I just really want to get this last 20 lbs. off. Any and all tips and suggestions are welcomed.

HW 272  CW 264

Ladytazz
on 5/7/14 12:36 pm

I am sure you already know this but the only way to beat the cravings for junk is to totally avoid it all.  You have to fight it for a while but after you detox and get it out of your system you will find yourself not having cravings any more.  Much like an addict needs to totally abstain from their drug of choice, some of us (me) find we can't handle certain things in moderation.  It is all or nothing for me and it is much easier to avoid those things then it is for me to try to control them, which has never worked for me.  I've tried and before long I am out of control again.

The best course would be to stick to high protein foods for a few days, avoid all carbs if you can, or have as few as you can manage.  Give it a week or two.  Drink lots and lots of water.  That will flush out your body and get the junk out of your system.  By junk I mean the refined carbs, white flour, sugar and other things that you feel you are eating out of control.  You know what your problem foods are.  The harder you fight to try not to give them up means those are what you need to give up.

Try planning out your meals for a while, tracking on My Fitness Pal or another tracking program.  Check in with us if you want and tell us of your success.  July 23, 2010 isn't just the day I had my surgery, it is the day I stopped eating things with sugar and gluten.  Now it's a no brainer.  I can walk into a room full of treats, as I did at work on Sunday at a baby shower and Monday for Cinco de Mayo and not even think twice about having some.  I make sure there are things I can have and I have a great time socializing with people.

Good luck to you.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

birdiegirl
on 5/7/14 7:39 pm

^^^^^what LadyTazz said......you are going to have to white knuckle it for a bit to lose the cravings....but it can be done......you likely still have some malabsorption going on....so get on this now before it gets much more difficult

JJ0609
on 5/7/14 9:05 pm

You need to go back to the basics of your plan that the doctor put you on and get your protein and water levels as high as you can and keep your carbs as low as possible. With veggies and fruits coming in second and third. Carbs and fats last. The honeymoon phase is over so it will be harder to lose but you can do it if you really work hard at it. You've got this. You have to want it.  Good luck!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

gbsinsatx
on 5/8/14 2:06 am - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

MissK123456789
on 5/10/14 10:36 pm - PA

I think that you received really sound advice from the previous posters.  I would counter your question with another question.  Why would you continue to eat sugary foods after RNY especially when they make you nauseous part of the time? 

You had major life altering surgery yet haven't changed habits.  Don't you think it might be time to see a good counselor?

divadelya
on 5/27/14 2:10 am - NC
RNY on 02/01/12

MissK123456789,

I do not need to see a counselor.  I am experiencing things that everyone else experiences such as working 40+ hours a week and receiving a promotion, being a wife, mother, a full time graduate student and a gradutate teaching assistant all while taking care of a sick parent and being extremely exhausted at the end of the day.  I do not eat the wrong things ALL of the time.  I am asking for tips from others as a way of getting rid of the last stubborn pounds.  I was a size 24/26 and now I am a 14/16 and can wear some size 12 jeans so I am not gaining I am trying to get rid of the last stubborn few.

HW 272  CW 264

MissK123456789
on 5/30/14 1:27 am - PA

I stand corrected.  Good luck to you!

Karen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 350 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 311 views