Unexpected?

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 4:15 am

Thank you so much Jen :)

LiViAnN_mommy
on 5/8/14 3:15 am - Citrus heights, CA

For everything happened so fast! I talked to my PCM in April maybe march and had my surgery in June! I think that is part if the reason why after almost 7 years am I still finding my way. 

The most unexpected for me? The poop! Let's be honest here.... It's horrible and after all these years it still can be! There have been time early out when I pooped my pants! Oh and the gas..... Have you ever seen Old Faithful? You know that smell? Or leave out some hard boiled eggs out in the sun for a week and that is what comes close! My poor husband was in Iraq when I had surgey so that's what he came home to!

The hardest part? Being alone. My mom was there for a week but I had such a hard time the first few months. Feeling off all the time and nothing staying down. I also felt so lost. The military paid for it but that was it. There wasn't a lot of support than.

My final straw and something that will and always will stay in the back of the mind was a moment when I was shopping at Micheals and alittle boy looked at me than said to his mom "mommy she is so fat!!"  It hurt and still hurts but that little boy saved my life. My family and even my husband never really told me that. I was lucky I didn't have any health issues but I was heading that way. 

I am happy for you! Good for you on making this step to change your life! 

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 4:20 am

I know what you mean and sometimes it is the kids that make us realize it is time for a change.  I remember maybe 5 years ago I was walking into an Ulta and while crossing the street a couple of teenagers were driving and slowed down long enough to make a very mean thing that hurt me so much.  I tried to shake it off but as I am sure all of us know it is hard to shake these type of things off.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Braceface
on 5/8/14 4:01 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Good questions that I had prior to my recent surgery. Additionally, I wanted to know how quickly can I go back to work?

1; As I told my friends I am an excellent amateur weight looser and have lost significant weight multiple times as an adult. Unfortunately, I am a pro weight gainer and put the weight back on easily. ;) I came to the realization that I couldnt keep doing the same thing and expecting different results and I was loosing my motivation so I looked for help.

2. The most unexpected things for me post op has been the relative lack of discomfort. I was off pain meds by the next day and was a little sore as if I had been punched. and 4th day post surgery I was driving and stopped by the office. I returned to work on the 7th day and while I have lacked some energy things have been fine.

3. Pre-op protein was not so bad. The center I was at insisted that I use Unjury protein purchased online and it tasted quite good. Since surgery I have one in the morning and really dont want them any other time (I lost the love!). I have been blending soups with a vitamix and they are better.

4. Constipation like I have never had before. Almost brought me to tears. I would recommend taking stool softtner every day.

5. Finally, fear was the hardest thing to deal with. I asked the nurse if anyone has run for it on the way in to surgery and my wife tells me that the first thing I said to her after was I cant believe I have done this!

I hope that helps.

Christine24
on 5/8/14 10:07 am
RNY on 03/24/14

I had tried for years to get insurance to pay for my surgery so when they finally did, I was so excited that I never got nervous about having it. To be perfectly honest though, I did it for very vain reasons...I want to be skinny and look good for the first time in my life. I was on meds and insulin and c-pap and, of course, didn't enjoy being on them, and didn't like having health issues, but I can honestly say that my sole reason was my looks, and (like someone else had mentioned) when I went on a cruise I couldn't do a lot of things and I was humiliated by it. I also started becoming a hermit and hid myself away from the world. I was convinced that my weight is why I've been single for so long, I figured nobody wants to be with a fatty, right??

the thing that has surprised me the most since surgery is how food just doesn't taste good anymore, I have to force myself to eat sometimes, which is totally unlike me...I used to love food. lol

karin602
on 5/8/14 10:19 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13
  1. Most unexpected wearing my daughter's hand me downs right now between 12 & 10
  2. Hardest part the waiting to get all the right clearances
  3. Final straw my age 62 at time of surgery knowing most docs wouldn't do the surgery if I waited much longer

Karin

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 11:50 am

Wow, that is amazing.  Just thinking about wearing a 10 or 12 seems like a dream. Congrats!

karenp8
on 5/9/14 2:32 am - Brighton, IL

The most unexpected thing after surgery was that I could be a thin person. I had been obese or overweight my entire life,even as a child. When I began my journey I weighed 262 pounds and today I weigh about 120. I probably weighed that last in elementary school! The hardest part for me was the pre op liquid diet. The first few days were really hard as I was so hungry,but after that it got better. The final straw for me as being diagnosed diabetic and finally realizing how much I had withdrawn from the world because it was too hard to get around and do things.

iHeartTeas
on 5/9/14 4:56 am

Congratulations on achieving your goal.  I hope I will have the chance to say the same thing soon.  I feel I too will soon facing the same reality soon, the idea of being thin was something I never though possible.  Now is seems a reality.

AR_Queen
on 5/9/14 6:23 am
RNY on 05/29/13

Hi, I am almost 1 year out (5/29/13)  I have revised my "goal weight" 3 times, because I met, and exceeded the first two goals.

Most unexpected: That people don't recognize me.  Even people I see regularly (every day, at work).  I have literally stopped people in their tracks when I opened my mouth to speak to them, because they recognize my voice, but not my appearance.  I don't FEEL like I look that different, however, since I get this reaction so regularly, I believe it is genuine.  I have lost 125 lbs, and have gone from a tight size 18W to a size 4 pants/small top.  I have NEVER in my life worn a small anything, so I guess that is unexpected too. :)

For me, the hardest part of going through the surgery, was going through with it.  I literally was questioning my decision all the way to the operating table.  I had done my research, and felt well-informed, but it was the fear of the unknown, I think.  I had one minor "wtf" moment afterwards, but it passed quickly, and since that point, I have never, for one minute, regretted my decision.  The lifestyle change was hard at first, but now, it just all feels very normal to me.  

I am now able to run, and I actually LIKE it!! :)  I have never in my life, even as a child, liked to run.  My inner competitor is coming out, and with each race I run, I want to beat my previous time.  I have ran many 5ks at this point, and just signed up for my first 10k, which will take place in October.  Now I am going to train to prepare myself as far as pace and endurance in order to complete that race.  I'm thinking my goal for the end of next year's running season will to be a 1/2 marathon.  We will see :)

My deciding factor was health.  My dad died at 66, and his health had been poor for about 8-10 years prior to his death.  He had diabetes, congestive heart failure, had strokes, heart attacks and open heart bypass surgery.  At the age of 40, I was already on cholesterol and high blood pressure medication, and I had sleep apnea.  My husband has a very bad back, and is disabled due to this.  I wanted one of us to be healthy.  I just didn't want to live an unhealthy life anymore.

I would say to you, as you start through this process, research, research, research.  Learn everything you can, but try not to get too wrapped up in the "horror stories" you may read or hear.  Everyone is different, and yes, complications can and do happen. But, most people don't have complications.  Choose your surgeon and hospital wisely.  Look at more than one program as you are making your choice, so you have something to compare to.  Choose a comprehensive program.  If your program is not making you jump through several hoops to get to your surgery, they are shortchanging you.  Make sure they have access to all of the resources you will need: nutrtionist, psychologist, education for life after surgery and support groups.

Good luck!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?