Unexpected?

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 12:02 am

To all the post op patients.  I am in the process of going through all the preliminary steps so that I may get my clearances for RNY surgery.  Of course like many of you have been researching the whole process like crazy and just when I think I don't have any more questions something else pops up.  

Questions:

What was the most unexpected thing to happen to you post op?  This can be surgery related. Reactions of people. Anything.

What was the hardest part of going through with the surgery?

What was the "final straw" that made you say you were will to take the risk? The moment where it was clear to you that the benefits outweighed the risks?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

For me it was my health, my kids, my husband, and frankly I was tired of my weight getting in the way of every aspect of my life.  I tried everything and guess what it doesn't work.  I am sure you understand what I mean.  Sometimes I think this decision is cheating but then I remember all the trails and failures.  I am not cheating, this is my last resort.

AnnyBananny
on 5/8/14 1:02 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Good morning, these are some interesting questions and really got me thinking and remembering!

I have a good friend who is now 5 years post-RNY, ever since her surgery it's been in the back of my mind. For me, the straw that broke the camel's back was being diagnosed with sleep apnea. The idea of going through the rest of my life sleeping with the C-PAP really got me serious about a real weight loss solution. And if I'm being really honest - it was the first time I was dating someone post-diagnosis and he was staying at my place - my choices were to snore like crazy or use the C-PAP and both felt horribly embarrassing to me.  

The most unexpected piece? So far...it's that I was (and still am) smelly! Bad breath, deodorant not keeping up, stinky gas. I knew about the gas - but the others I don't think I knew about. I found I had to switch to a "clinical strength" deodorant and I usually end up brushing my teeth a few extra times throughout the day.

When I took an honest look at my co-morbidities (sleep apnea, high BP, high cholesterol, anxiety) and the risks associated with them vs the risk of the surgery - it almost felt like a no brainer. I was lucky enough to live in an area with at least a dozen different bariatric programs, so I visited many of them and found the program and then the surgeon that I was most comfortable with and just went for it. Really once the initial decision was made, I feel like I didn't look back. The night before my surgery as I was saying good bye to my sister and nieces for the night I started to get nervous and then the morning of the surgery I was scared - but otherwise - full steam ahead.

At 7 weeks out, I already feel like it is one of the best choices I have ever made. I feel myself getting stronger, healthier, more confident literally every day

And I'm sure you've heard it before - WLS is not cheating or the easy way out - it takes a lot of work and dedication to be successful, but I don't think you'll regret it (you might have a little buyers' remorse when you're feeling really crappy post surgery, but for most people it goes away quickly). 

Good luck and keep coming back to this site - it is an AMAZING resource!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 4:05 am

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I didn't know about the smelly thing but I have heard that it could be related to regular cows milk.  The hormones used on the cows enter the milk and have caused the smell issue.  Many people I know have switched to as much organic dairy products as possible and noticed a difference in just a few days.  Of course I am not a 100% but it is worth a shot. Let me know if you try it and if it works.  Thanks

AnnyBananny
on 5/8/14 5:22 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My understanding is it is ketosis related. I tend to think that is correct as I don't drink cows milk. Don't know - but glad the clinical strength deodorant has done the trick!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

life_mirrors_art
on 5/8/14 1:12 am - Canada

I am still on the waiting list for surgery, but my primary reasons for going ahead are improved health and quality of life:
1) cardiac health - at age 58, it is no longer possible to ignore family history of heart disease; 
2) despite a lifetime of losing weight to improve my health, I haven't been able to maintain major weight losses for more than a few years;
3) laparoscopic surgery - appears to be much safer, with no large open wound to deal with after surgery (healing seems slower after age 50);
4) joint pain - has been getting much worse in last few years, to the point where mobility is restricted;
5) getting off meds (bp, statins,gerd);
6) and finally, the tipping point occurred when I found out that occurrence of migraine headaches may be alleviated or possibly resolved altogether after RNY surgery. Severe migraines have been a lifelong issue for me, and living a migraine-free (or at least migraine-diminished) life sounds like a dream come true.

The many other pluses (improved mobility and appearance, confidence and energy) and minuses (loose skin and hair loss) were factors in the decision, but were less significant than the 6 reasons listed above.

I'd be interested to hear what the tipping point was for others too!

iHeartTeas
on 5/8/14 4:08 am

Good luck on your journey. :)

life_mirrors_art
on 5/8/14 4:17 am - Canada

Thank you - best wishes for you too!

MamaJesse
on 5/8/14 1:31 am

Most unexpected:  How many times I've vomited.  Honestly, most people probably don't have to do it as often as I do, but I'm stubborn.  I "forget" and eat too fast when I'm really hungry, ea****ermelon after dinner (water content is too high on top of food), don't chew my food properly or take bites that are too big.  Then I get nauseous and have to go hork up lunch.  Ugh.  I have always had an "iron stomach", but now sometimes vomiting is such a relief.  Weird

Hardest part:  the pre-op liquid diet.  Brutal.  

Final straw: Being put on insulin for diabetes.  Needles suck.

There is no cheat with surgery.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but so worth it. I don't understand how we've come to think of this as the "easy way out", but that's totally incorrect.  It's a lot of freakin work!

Bubbles314
on 5/8/14 2:56 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi I to am waiting for a surgery date. May set date at my June 5 appt. with the Dr.

I kept telling everyone that I haven't made up my mind to have the surgery just looking into it.  But I kept all the appt's step by step that the Dr has set for me.  I am on a limited budget that does not allow for alot of wiggle room, so why most of my people have not figured out I would not be spending the money on copays and vitamins if I was not sure....I'll tell them I just wanted to get more info first, they love me and will ask alot of questions.  I want to be informed and between my Dr and you guys I feel informed and I believe I will be on this site forever now.

I made the decision that this was the best medical decision for me now.  I too am on insulin and hate the needles, highBP, cholestral, sleep apnea, gerd, IBS, and  I also have Non Hogdkins Lymphoma ( treatable not curable).  Any how, the Dr. told me what he thought the rny would do to help me, basically wipe the medical problems out , it would also help keep the lymphoma in remission if i was not so over weight (possible).  I did not want to have a problem with my sugar when I get chemo like I did last time, (not fun added to the laying around too).  It was a no brainer,  I read  all of your posts for the last few weeks and  now I am going to tell people, I feel like the song "This is gonna be the first day of my life" after I have the surgery and it does not matter what others say "I deserve a second chance to do it right, eating being thin able to do more physical exercise like I use to.  Can't wait....Like all of you say it will be hard but I am game.

Good luck to all of you, free to be you and me, be happy.

dale

jenorama
on 5/8/14 2:57 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I'm still pretty new at this, having had surgery only last October, but here's my go:

-Most unexpected thing?  That would be the terrible constipation about a week and a half after surgery.  I never experienced anything like that before and I never want to again!  Benefiber is my friend.

-The hardest part of going through surgery?  Honestly, the surgery part was the easiest!  The hardest part was actually making the decision to proceed with surgery and then going through all of the hoops that my insurance required.  I've had a really easy time with no surgery-related complications.  I have needed to re-learn what I can and can't do food-wise.  Some things I used to love are no longer my friends, which is probably a good thing!

-The final straw?  Well, I had been on a medically supervised diet program (HMR) for a long time and in 2008, I lost 100 lbs and was doing really well.  I hit a wall and couldn't seem to lose any more.  Like a dummy, I stuck with the program and gained it all back plus extra.  I'm only 40 and I found that I was starting to isolate myself and not want to go out to movies, theater, ball games etc.  In fact, I went to a SF Giants game and got two huge bruises from the seat.  My mobility was still good, but I got tired walking around on vacation and I couldn't do fun things like the climbing wall and zip line on our cruise last year.  Another factor was family history.  Both of my parents developed type 2 diabetes and a slew of other problems requiring tons of pills and I didn't want that to be my future.  I'd escaped those problems thus far, but I could see the road I was going down.  I wasn't happy with the way I looked or felt and the more I read and learned about weight loss, it seemed like surgery was the way to go.  I'm down 100 lbs and feeling great!  :D

I hope my answers to your questions are useful and good luck to you!

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 122 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views