Pre-op Struggles - My Fitness Pal/NUT guidelines

kbb0185
on 5/9/14 12:49 am
RNY on 07/15/14

My NUT is wonderful, I go to see her next week, so I will ask her this as well.  She basically directed me to aim for low carb/high protein, and to have only 15g of carbs at every snack/meal, and I could choose how I wanted it.  I am trying to track everything I eat in My Fitness Pal so I can bring it in to her, but with the low carb/high protein I am going over (sometimes way over) a lot of days on calories, protein, and sodium, but way under on carbs.

I know I can manually adjust My Fitness Pal to what my goals should be, but I'm not sure what that is!

Can anyone help?  Thanks all, and happy Friday! 

Dcgirl
on 5/9/14 1:19 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hey there - you have to manually set it on the computer (can't do it via the iPhone app).  I have set mine to the following goal percentages:

Protein: 55%

Fat 30%

Carbs 15%

I manually set my calories to 800 but being only 5 months out I tend to be closer to 700.  Everyone varies.  Pre-surgery, 1700 calories a day was a struggle.  I promise it's easier after surgery!

kbb0185
on 5/9/14 1:25 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Thanks for your reply!  So sodium/fat/sugar do not "matter"?  I put that in quotations because I know it does actually matter.  But while I am in the pre-op stage, eating more protein seems to be directly related to more fat/sodium.

I am at 1880 calories and struggling to stay with that!  My NUT did not give me a calorie goal, and said as long as I stuck with the 15g of carbs per sitting, to go for full fat dressings, cheeses, etc.  But when I plug it into MFP it yells at me! :)

Dcgirl
on 5/9/14 1:44 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

LOL @MFP yells at me!  Yes, MFP is NOT set up for WLS patients.  Living on 700 calories is not quote/unquote normal :)

I do not pay attention to sodium.  I don't eat carbs, so I am damned if I am going to give up salt ;)

Sugar will fall under carbs.  You will find differing opinions on this site - some do carbs in moderation and some stay low low low carb.  I am in the latter group.  But everyone is different!  I just know that carbs make me crave carbs.  And post-op - your whole focus will be protein protein protein and you won't have much room for other stuff, unless you decrease protein and increase space for ancillary food.  

Important to note: I am 5 months post op, so not an expert by any means!  I haven't reached goal, and I haven't experienced maintenance.  I can only say what works for me.  Hopefully some vets on the site will chime in.  There are some people who are years out and doing awesome.

For what it's worth, my NUT also just said "get at least 60 g of protein a day" and didn't give me a calorie or carb goal.  It was only through reading about people who were successful on here that I created my own low carb (less than 20 g per day, not sitting) plan.

If you want to read my post when I lost 100 lbs, it's here.  Has a list of what worked for ME.  Again, feel free to ignore :)  Others have their own plans :)  But hopefully you will find some good and helpful and knowledgeable people on here.  It keeps me informed and accountable!  Good luck!!!  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/5250347/Century-Club-i n-4-months-and-4-days-my-story/

kbb0185
on 5/9/14 2:21 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Thank you so much!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?