Lots and lots of head hunger...HELP!

melissa_musicjunkie
on 5/18/14 1:22 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

The last few weeks have been rough...I just want to eat lately. I'm able to eat more, as I'm almost 10 months out. I'm still doing well...don't take this to mean that I'm messing u*****t losing or whatever. I just FEEL like I want to eat frequently. I'm not sure where this is coming from. I'm usually not physically hungry...like right now...I want a snack, but I'm so very totally not even close to being actually hungry. Anybody got any tricks that work for them to talk themselves out of head hunger? Should I be talking to a therapist about this? My surgeon? Like I said, I'm still doing fine, but I'm afraid if I don't get this mentally under control that it might be a problem later on....

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

MissySue286
on 5/18/14 2:12 pm

I'm in the same boat as you.  I had surgery Aug 14,2013 and I've noticed my head hunger getting stronger.  I've actually started chewing gum an that usually satisfies me.  

melissa_musicjunkie
on 5/18/14 9:14 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

I haven't tried gum, but it used to upset my stomach before surgery, so I can only imagine it would hurt now. :/

tdbull
on 5/18/14 2:38 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
My surgery was Aug 13 and I just posted the other day about binge urges and eating more from head hunger instead of physical hunger. I'm reaching the book 'How to Have Your Cake and Skinny Jeans Too' by Josie Spinardi. She talks about Non-Hunger Eating and what studies show trigger this type of eating and how we can redirect ourselves to Hunger-Directed Eating, or only esting when we are physically hungry. I've just started the book but so far find it's pretty good and makes a lot of sense. I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon for $9.99 today.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

melissa_musicjunkie
on 5/18/14 9:11 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

Ok cool, thanks! I'll check that out!

dasie
on 5/18/14 4:25 pm

Could it be carb related 

melissa_musicjunkie
on 5/18/14 9:13 pm
RNY on 08/01/13

No, I don't think so. I don't usually eat a lot if carbs...when I do they are complex carbs, fruit, dairy, etc. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/19/14 12:19 am

Even complex carbs - like fruits and dairy can trigger carbs cravings.. Just because it is "natural sugar"it does not mean it does not affect us.  I can have 1/2 serving of fruits at one time - and that limited to low sugar fruits like berries... And I need to make sure I have some protein +  fat with that... 

When I deal with head hunger - that to me means that I want specific food - not just real food. Many times - my head hunger deals with need for more water - drinks.. Making a nice large cup of green tea, or some other nice drink helps a lot.  Many times - drinki9ng just a cap of tea makes me so full and I know it was thirst not hunger.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dcgirl
on 5/19/14 12:18 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am only five months out but I do notice head hunger if I am bored...one trick I have used is to have a pickle.  No carbs, almost no calories, a very satisfying crunchiness.  I think tdbull's recommendation of dealing with it and reading the book is probably best, but in the short term...maybe eat a pickle when you feel "hungry" so you don't cave and eat chips or something :) I can already eat more at five months out than a month out...slightly scared about ten months out...one day at a time is my motto!  I am sorry you are feeling head hunger and I think it's great you realize it and are looking for a way to solve it!

Most Active
Recent Topics