Insurance approved for my RNY, now the nerves start ...

idnas
on 5/21/14 5:01 am
VSG on 08/05/16

Hi, I have been on OH for 2 weeks now and am so encouraged by so many of you! I found out 1 week ago that my insurance was approved and I go next week to set the surgery date. I was so excited, but after reading a few posts today I started feeling a little nervous about my decision. Some folks were talking about allergies and difficulties and I am not sure if they are the minority or majority! I have to believe that this surgery will be the best thing for me. When I met my surgeon in January, he said he couldn't believe it took this many years for a doctor to refer me for RNY since I was a perfect candidate. I am believing he is correct in what he said ... 

karenp8
on 5/21/14 6:19 am - Brighton, IL

The people with problems and allergies are the minority. They just happen to be the ones you hear from because they are seeking help with their issues. I had any 21 months ago at a weight of 260. I had high blood pressure,high cholesterol,diabetes,constant knee and back pain and couldn't do a flight of stairs without stopping to catch my breath. I had been obese my whole life. Today I have a normal blood sugar,normal cholesterol and normal blood pressure. I now power walk 21/2 miles a day with no shortness of breath and have no knee or back pain anymore. I have had no problems post surgery at all. I now weigh 122 pounds and am a normal size person for the first time ever. I wish I hard had my surgery sooner so I would not have wasted so many years sitting on the sidelines.

idnas
on 5/21/14 8:40 am
VSG on 08/05/16

Thanks for your comment. It was encouraging to me. I can only imagine being a "normal size" because it has been 30 years now, but it sounds so great! 

christyhall
on 5/21/14 9:43 am, edited 5/21/14 9:46 am
RNY on 04/28/14

You should go read this post or perhaps the whole 5-part series: http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-why-i-support-bariatric-surge ry.html

Dr. Sharma is an obesity expert and I always learn something from reading his blog. In the article I linked above, he points out the risks of *not* having bariatric surgery. In many cases people focus on the potential bad outcomes from surgery but they fail to consider the risks of doing nothing. It is an eye-opening read, and makes me feel very grateful that I was able to have surgery. Even if I don't lose another pound, I have already reversed my high blood pressure and avoided the diabetes diagnosis that would have come any day. I also regained a lot of mobility and decreased the pressure on my knees. It is a big deal. Most of the weight I lost so far was before surgery, but having the surgery will help me keep off the weight I lost for the long term.

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

Sherrie P.
on 5/21/14 12:23 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Hey - I recognize your surgeon - so you are in NC like me!!! My friend used Dr. Bruce and got great results!!

No problems!

No issues!

Nobody happier than this girl!!!!!!!!!

Go for it.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 410 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 401 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 280 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 316 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 138 views