Menopause, poor planning, cheddar biscuits and other related complaints

Louise1974
on 5/26/14 10:15 am

It has been a rough day folks.  Some great stuff, worked in the garden for hours, got a huge pile of brush into the wood chipper (my neighbors are thrilled I am sure!), had a great time with friends and family.  But for the LOVE OF HOLINESS, the food, THE FOOD, it was bad today.

Here is what happened.  I hosted a huge breakfast at my place today.  I have spent every spare minute in the garden lately so I did not do my usual pre-planning around an event like that.  So there I was, surrounded by the most incredible food, with no good thought out plan of what I would eat.  Well, guess what?  That is a freaking disaster every time!!  I ate the cheddar biscuit.  It is an Ina Garten recipe.  It has a cup of cheese and a cup and a half of butter.  In one recipe.  And wheat.  And I am gluten and latose intolerant.  Oh lord.  And I wish I could say that was all.  But no, not even close.  I totally had one of those moments where I was like, "well, I took a wrong turn so I may as well drive off a cliff."  Oh boy. 

And have I mentioned that I am hot and heavy into perimenopause.  I only just realized it this month.  What the heck?  I was pregnant like eight minutes ago.  And now, bam!  Menopause, well, perimenopause.  I understand it can go on for years.  YEARS.  Awesome.  I am not going to blame my dreadful food day on it....  but I am tempted. 

The good news is, at least the off-plan food I ate today was amazing.  Like seriously amazing.  I hate it when I blow it on total crap.  This was way way way off my plan.  But incredible.  Also, I hear that if you go into perimenopause early then it goes faster (if you know that isn't true, please don't tell me, I need hope at this point.)  And tomorrow is a new day.  Hallelujah. 

Headed to the kitchen to pack healthy foods for work tomorrow.  So thankful for a new day!

Brimiller808
on 5/26/14 11:39 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

No need to beat yourself up. Like you said, tomorrow is a new day!

I hope you're right about peri menopause. I've been on it for a few years and I'm 51 now. Haven't had a period since the day of surgery so I hope I'm nearing the end!  Night sweats are a, well, you know. : )

Ladytazz
on 5/26/14 11:46 am

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse (can I find any more metaphors?).  It's not the end of the world.  It's not even the end of weight loss efforts.  It was just a day you made some bad choices.  Now, figure out what you can do differently the next time and let it go.  No amount of beating yourself up with change one thing and will probably lead to more bad choices.  

I always make the best choices I can in whatever situation I am in, even if they aren't ideal, then learn what I can if they weren't the best and then forget about it.  Really, in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what you ate today or last week?  Those are done, unchangeable and all you can do now is move forward with whatever information you can gather to hopefully make better choices next time.

As far as menopause, I guess I've been lucky.  By the time I figured out what was going on it was pretty much over.  I had a hysterectomy years ago so I didn't have a period to miss.  By the time I realized that what I was experiencing were hot flashes I was done with them.  In fact, when I had my revision 4 years ago I think the hormone dump helped me because that is when I stopped being hot all the time.  Since my doctor doesn't believe in HRT I think I was able to make my own.

Anyway, hopefully you will have an easy transition as well.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

tdbull
on 5/26/14 1:58 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Ugh. Is it the weather or the water? I had the worst day yesterday relative to eating. Started with popcorn, even tho it was skinny pop, it's a trigger food, the went to arctic zero carb free ice cream and ended with my quest protein bars. All on plan, but NOT in one sitting. Needless to say, I was so sick, carb coma, throw up and in bed with the worst tummy pains I have ever had since surgery. Then, woke up today. A new day, a new start, a little beat up but back in the saddle. It can be done. Treat yourself with love and get right back on your plan. You got this!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

birdiegirl
on 5/26/14 8:16 pm

Like the others said....dust yourself off and get back on the horse......I don't know how far out you are from surgery.....but this will likely happen again in the future.....life happens and the important thing is to get back to it.....once you get to goal ( if you are not already there)......the key will be to eat right 90% of the time.....and to get on any re-gain immediately

Menopause.....keep your hope.....I am 58 and am still in its grasp 10 years later......bloody hell anyway

56sunShine14
on 5/27/14 4:09 am

Birdiegirl, GOOD NEWS I HOPE!! I am 57, doing the menopause thing since 2001 and stopped my monthly friend almost a year ago now. AND I DON'T MISS IT!!  You should be close to done.  Good luck!

Now, after surgery I hope to lose those night sweats too.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Lisa167
on 5/27/14 1:07 am
VSG on 08/14/14

eh, dust the crumbs off, you'll be just fine.  You know what went wrong. 

Since you asked, I won't say anything about the peri/menopause thing

Ocalasam
on 5/27/14 2:09 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Your post is hilarious!  I don't know anything about menopause yet, so no help there.  I actually made really good choices while at the beach with my family for the last three days.  I don't think my protein numbers were where they needed to be, but I came home a pound lighter and I'm already below goal.  For me, it's hard to make bad choices for a lot of foods because I seriously cannot eat very much at one time without feeling horrible or having to throw up.  I don't seem to dump, so I think I can eat a pretty decent amount of sugar at one time and be ok, but I don't often crave sugar.  The other night my family and I went out for pizza and wings (a large pizza, ten wings, garlic knots and 2 drinks for $20....and it was really good).  I could eat 2 wings and about three bites of pizza before I knew I would have problems if I continued.  I was actually kinda bummed.  I would have totally eaten half of that entire meal before.  Thank God for this surgery, or I would still be doing that!

Most Active
Recent Topics