Yacon Syrup? What sweeteners do you use?

Brimiller808
on 5/26/14 8:11 am, edited 5/26/14 8:12 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

So since it has been raining all day we've been lazy and watching TV. I caught a Dr. Oz episode where he was talking about Yacon Syrup and it's many benefits (bowel movement frequency impressed me the most - go figure). I'm fearful of anything that has the name syrup in it thinking it can't be good for us RNYers. Anyone try it?

Also, I really want to break my Equal addiction but it's what taste best to me in coffee or tea. Anyone have a suggestion for an Equal substitute that would give me the same satisfaction but is, of course, better for you?

Thanks!

Cunning_Pam
on 5/26/14 9:48 am
RNY on 12/18/13

In my opinion, I wouldn't do a bloody thing Dr. Oz recommended. The man is a quack and will recommend anything that gets him ratings and therefore equals cash.

About the Yacon syrup, about all I could find was one small study. This smacks of all the other "miracle weight loss" cures...raspberry ketones. Garcinia cambogia. Green tea. Hoodia gordonii. There's always something that's being touted as the "weight loss cure" with sensational results. I wouldn't try it with any expectations.

About the Equal, while I admit to an occasional Splenda for sweetening, my preferred sweetener is stevia.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Brimiller808
on 5/26/14 11:34 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

That's kind of what I figured. One lady sang the praises of its "bowel" benefits but she was probably paid to do. The doctors he interviewed didn't say anything really good or bad about it. 

I gave stevia a try once but wasn't too crazy about it, however, I don't really think I gave it a good chance due to my love of Equal. I'm all for second chances though. 

Appreciate your input!

siberiancat
on 5/27/14 2:48 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm an avid tea drinker (hot and cold).  My doctor wanted my off artificial sweetners.  I use SweetLeaf Sweet Drops (stevia)  - the vanilla creme flavor (it's liquid).  I'm able to drin****d tea with nothing, but like the vanilla creme liquid stevia in my hot tea.

I'm also leary of anything Dr. Oz promotes.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Lisa167
on 5/28/14 11:38 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I also use stevia - I but the SweetLeaf packets.  They also sell them with fibre added :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views