WHAT IS THE IRON WE USE AFTER RNY?

mama_dee54
on 5/27/14 9:17 am

My daughter had sleeve 5 years ago and has been through several transfusion because of severe anemia. I think they have hers under control now. I sure don't want to go through that. I want to start the iron as soon as I can. She ate ice like crazy and it had to be a certain texture right before we found out she was anemic. (CRAZY) what it does to you. Any suggestions on the kind of iron we absorb best?

poet_kelly
on 5/27/14 9:25 am - OH

Carbonyl.  It's all elemental iron and does not need a lot of stomach acid to be absorbed.  As an added bonus, it usually does not cause constipation like the ferrous salts do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mama_dee54
on 5/27/14 9:31 am

Thanks ! You should be called the vitamin lady ! You sure know your stuff ! I was looking around for answers on some things and up popped your picture ! I think it was on yahoo somewhere ! LOL  

poet_kelly
on 5/27/14 9:33 am - OH

Thanks.  I'm a freelance writer and I write for a number of website, including Yahoo Voices and Livestrong.  I've done a bunch of articles on Yahoo about WLS and vitamins.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mama_dee54
on 5/27/14 9:44 am

Oh , that explains it. And by the way, I e-mailed my dietician and she said we only use the Bariatric Fusion for first 2 months and then we use what we want because we should be able to take pills by then, for the calcium and stuff. I was getting so confused with all this vitamin stuff. Sure I will be asking more questions as time goes on.

poet_kelly
on 5/27/14 9:46 am - OH

Oh.  Well, that's a lot better than using them long term.  But why not use chewable vitamins that meet the ASMBS guidelines for the first two months, instead of Bariatric Fusion?

mama_dee54
on 5/27/14 9:58 am

She said that their office has seen very good results with 2 months of the Fusion . I bought my first bottle for after surgery awhile back so Guess I will use the 2 months and find something cheaper so I can get the calcium to that ASMBS says I need. I will do my b12 sublingual liquid I have too. That should not hurt my new pouch right away I hope.

poet_kelly
on 5/27/14 10:01 am - OH

Sublingual B12 is dissolved under your tongue.  It never goes into your pouch.  So it definitely can't hurt your pouch.

Taking pills sooner than two months out generally won't hurt your pouch, either, by the way.  Many surgeons recommend using chewables  in the beginning and many people prefer to do so and that's perfectly fine.  But many other people swallow vitamins in pill form with no trouble, too.  The ASMBS says it's OK to swallow vitamins as soon as you can tolerate doing so and I think most people can tolerate it pretty early out.   Like even the same say as surgery.

Don 1962
on 5/28/14 9:44 am

Kelly,

Is iron, in either form, going to help get the ferritin level up?  Mine was sub par on my last labs so started taking 325 mg of the ferrous salt variety trying to bring the level back into range.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

poet_kelly
on 5/28/14 10:00 am - OH

Yes, most likely.

Last June my ferritin was only 15.  I had been taking 75 mg carbonyl iron and upped that to 300 mg a day.  In three months, my ferritin had gone up to 26.  I will be getting labs done again next month to see where it stands now.

Keep in mind, 325 mg ferrous sulfate is only 65 mg elemental iron, so it's a pretty low dose.  You may need more than that to see much improvement.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 42 views
Recent Topics