Just home from the hospital!

Amber L.
on 5/30/14 1:16 am - Grandview, MO

So I had my surgery on Wednesday, stayed over Thursday and now today (Friday) I am home. I have to say I'm in a lot of pain, but I knew it would, but knowing and experiencing it are two different things. The craziest thing right now? When I have to go to the bathroom - that's the hardest thing right now. That and getting enough water. I keep praying that this will be quick and hurry up and stop hurting, but I'm still grateful for the help this surgery will give me. Any suggestions for getting into/out of bed? Or what to do if you a belly or side sleeper?

Surgery date: May 28, 2014 | Heaviest Weight: 323 | Height: 5'9" | Age: 30

AnnyBananny
on 5/30/14 1:19 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Congratulations and welcome to the Losers' Bench!

Move, move, move as much as you can - that will help the gas pain pass. And don't skip the pain meds, take them when you need them.

I am a side sleeper, but I did sleep on my back the first few nights. Then I found that if I put a pillow behind me, I could sleep on my side-ish and that worked nicely. 

For getting out of bed, I would roll to my side and then use the opposite arm to push up to sitting. That was sooooo much less painful than trying to struggling to sitting position from my back.

Good luck!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Suzysings
on 5/30/14 1:33 am - Woodstock, IL

Oh boy, I'm there with you. Also had my surgery Wednesday and I'm home too.  I'm so weak I can barely walk across the room without getting tired. Lots of pain, dry mouth, very very sore in the belly, drinking is very hard. I too think that everyday will get better, I'ts nice to hear that what I'm though is normal. 

I can only sleep on my right side, and its' tough, if I try to sleep on my back my sinus drainage issues almost choke me.  I'm so weak, I just feel so battered.  Hang in there--I think this is part of the journey and everyday will be better.  Keep in touch OK?

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
Cunning_Pam
on 5/30/14 5:07 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome to the Loser's Bench, Suzy! Yes, it's all part of the process, and it will get better soon! You'll be surprised how much better you feel in a few days, a few weeks. Be good to yourself, you just had major surgery and your body needs time to recover.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

tdbull
on 5/30/14 2:10 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I slept sitting up for about a week, but slept on my back for about a month. Take your pains meds, walk as much and as often as you can. I started out only walking 5 minutes at a time but it made me feel so much better, both physically and emotionally. I couldn't drink liquids cold, so stuck with room temp and warm. In order to get all my liquids and protein in, I drank the IsoPure Zero Carb drinks. I got bottles at GNC and Apple Melon and Grape are good flavors. Other not so good. This will pass, you had major surgery. Welcome to the Losers Bench!! Good things are waiting for you!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Grim_Traveller
on 5/30/14 2:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations. Walk and drink, walk and drink. Those are the best things you can do.

A lot of us slept in recliners for a little while. It was certainly more comfortable for me.

It will get a little bit more comfortable every day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 3:24 am

Keep taking your pain meds.I slept in a chair the first few nights.Get up and walk around to get rid of the gas they pump in you.Sip sip.Thats what I remember from this page in the first few days.

Sarahakers11
on 5/30/14 4:58 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

My worst day was my first full day home.  It got better every day after that.  Just take your meds and move as much as possible.    I slept on my side (started on the right then had to move to the left at the end of the first week)  I propped pillows behind me to kind of lean on and one between my knees and ankles and another in front of me under my belly and one to wrap my arms around...I was in a nest of pillows...but very comfortable that way.   Getting out was a nother matter I would kind of shuffle to the edge and kind of roll off and push with my arms...LOL

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Cunning_Pam
on 5/30/14 5:05 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went so well for you.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, so all I can do is let you know that you're perfectly normal. Water is tough to get in at first, but it will get much, much better, just keep working at it as it's SO important! I'm also one of those who slept in a recliner for a couple of days after surgery, but I think I was in my own bed and sleeping on my side within a week to two weeks. The idea to support yourself with pillows is a good one, I found that a pillow under my stomach when I was on my side was very helpful.

Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Braceface
on 5/30/14 7:24 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Congratulations! For the first couple of weeks I slept with a wedge under my head and shoulders and a pillow under my knees. The made it easier to roll to my right side and then get up off the bed. As a belly sleeper this helped with sleeping on my back. Taking a pain pill before bed also helped me fall asleep and reduced the stiffness in my muscles in the morning. By 2 weeks I couldn't stand the wedge anymore and slept on my front anyway!

Most Active
Recent Topics