Day 5, Post Op

RaeLynn O.
on 6/20/14 12:09 am

Hello Everyone,

I am so happy to have found this forum!  It is a great source of support and information.  I had GBP on Monday the 16th.  I am doing well taking in my protein, fluids etc.  I am still very sore and find I tire easily.  I have read some on here are off pain meds and plugging along.  I am wondering if you could share some helpful hints regarding recovery.  I am following my walking plan daily as well, so I am moving, just wish I wasn't so sore!

Thanks for everything!  Looking forward to loosing! :O)

selhard
on 6/20/14 6:06 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Pain meds actually should help encourage you to move about more---a good thing.  Ample naps also help make you more active when you are awake--another good thing.  Last hint--ask lots of detailed questions to help give you mental-confidence you are doing things right (confidence=success).  

Jenn S.
on 6/20/14 6:17 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Hi there! I also had surgery on the 16th. I stopped pain meds after I got home.  I still get sore from time to time and for that I use a heating pad. It helps tremendously in making things feel better for me. Right now I still don't have a ton of energy, but I feel better each day. Just make sure to follow your plan, and keep moving, and rest when you feel you need to. Good luck!

RaeLynn O.
on 6/20/14 8:01 am

Thank you Jenn!  I am actually using the heating pad now!  I had severe gas and bloating after surgery and believe this is just the residual.  The heating pad was a genius idea!  Thank you Thank you!  Best of luck to you on your journey!  Id love to keep in touch and report in on progress/experiences given we had surgery the same day :O) 

Jenn S.
on 6/20/14 8:10 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Glad it helped! One of my nurses suggested it because I was a bit uncomfortable with the gas and my stomach muscles were sore. I actually slept 4 hours straight after I got the heating pad. I have it next to me now and use it before I walk. 

Definitely keep in touch.  My link to my blog is on my profile, feel free to get in touch or send me a private message on here. Best wishes to you!

Lori W.
on 6/20/14 6:29 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

I took pain meds for 2 weeks. If you need them, take them. Some people are just more tolerant to pain. I'm not one of them.

Cunning_Pam
on 6/20/14 7:33 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Like Lori said, if you need the pain meds, take them. Don't try to tough it out, that will actually make your recovery take longer. Do walk and be active as much as possible. The soreness will go away, although right now it may seem like it. One day very soon you're going to wake up and realize you don't feel any soreness at all.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

RaeLynn O.
on 6/20/14 7:58 am

Thank you all for the advice!  I am actually using the heating pad now-what a GREAT idea.  I had such severe gas pain after the surgery and am finally passing some!  I am still a bit bloated but am happy to hear this will all pass!!  Thank you all again so much!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 548 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 259 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 40 views
Recent Topics