And so, life happens....

burghblonde
on 6/21/14 3:32 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I need some good, solid, shelf stable ideas for protein. My mother has fallen ill and will be hospitalized for quite a while. I came home for the weekend and am trying to prepare for the long road (heading back tomorrow) by getting some things together to take with me. Mornings are fine as I will stay at her house at night and can stock up on greek yogurt for breakfast. I also grabbed some tuna kits at the store and Jacks link tenders, and I will of course have my protein shakes (I did find that the cafe will sell me a cup of soy milk to mix them) and I have a few Quest bars in tow. There are not a lot of solid options at this hospital other than breakfast time and cottage cheese on the salad bar.  There has got to be some stuff I am overlooking.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

molly3613
on 6/21/14 4:07 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Edemame, turkey jerky, roasted chickpeas, babybel cheese will last the day if not in heat, string cheese, maybe a hard boiled egg, nuts like almonds, premier protein drink comes unrefrigerated and ready to drink.  If you had a small lunch box with a blue ice in it you could pack almost anything.

healthyme1963
on 6/21/14 7:18 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I don't like to use the nasty refrigerator at my office, so I keep dried edemame, almonds, jerky and Quest bars in my desk.  I have a lunch box that has a big ice pack in it that keeps my perishables cold all day.  Good luck! 

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

Caroline K.
on 6/21/14 10:29 am

I've seen some recipes for protein mini muffins and bars. They sounded pretty temperature stable & portable. Check the blogs of Bariatric Foodie & The World According to Egg Face.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

burghblonde
on 6/22/14 1:33 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Thanks! I made some roasted chickpeas this morning (garlic/sea salt). YUM! I did have to be sure to portion them into snack bags because they could get dangerous. ;) Got some string cheese, lean turkey and pickles as well. Figured that would be a good lunch item that would keep in my awesome new little lunch bag with a bentoish system of blocks and interlocking ice packs. ;)  I think I am good to go!

~ Heather~

Cunning_Pam
on 6/22/14 3:56 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I hope your mom does well and is out of the hospital as soon as possible. Sending good thoughts your way!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

christyhall
on 6/22/14 6:50 am
RNY on 04/28/14

My local Target sells Market Pantry Turkey Sausage Snack Bites and Snack Sticks that are tasty.

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

burghblonde
on 6/24/14 10:39 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Thank you! I have also found that the grilled chicken *****s at chik-fil-a are awesome AND I can eat small bits of spinach with it from the cafe. I have been doing great sticking to the plan and getting in my protein. Believe it or not it has been more difficult to get my fluids in. Weird! It's like I am constantly watching the clock and thinking...crap! I need to start drinking something!!

~ Heather~

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 79 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 363 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 304 views