Help PLEASE!!!

shayisshrinking
on 6/28/14 6:35 pm - Charlotte, NC
I had RNY-gastric bypass in September of 2010 and as of this past Friday I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I'm waiting to hear from my rheumatologist regarding my initial appointment. In the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as I can from others with the same type of surgery and condition. From what I've been able to gain looking online, most of the treatments used are NSAIDS. I know those are to be avoided at all costs! If there's anyone who can provide me with information in regards to how they manage their symptoms it would be greatly appreciated!!
White Dove
on 6/28/14 8:12 pm - Warren, OH

I am so sorry to hear that.  One thing I would recommend is to have a Jacuzzi bathtub installed and start taking daily whirlpool baths.  One friend even got her insurance to pay for the tub as it was recommended by her doctor to be therapeutic.  But even if you have to pay for the tub and installation, it can make a huge difference in how you feel. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Crosby
on 6/28/14 9:32 pm
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/14 9:33 pm

There are herbal antiinflammatory stuff that casn really help long term. Some people claim to feel much better if they completely remove gluten from their diet.  Checking for food allergies and eliminating food you may be allergic to also can help. 

Example of herbal stuff I take for my back issue is Gaia herb "Tumeric pain" combination and  "Tumeric pain - night formula". That taken regularly helps with pain and inflammation. 

The other products I use are much stronger - Natura Health brand - but some of their formulas are only available through practitioners.   Inflamaway - is one of them, plus "Corydalis Plus" formula is really good at night (sedation is a great side effect of thast together with pain reliever and antiinflammatory)- love this stuff

http://naturahealthproducts.com/inflamaway.html

http://naturahealthproducts.com/corydalis-plus.html

There are other brands of natural remedies that may work. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

shayisshrinking
on 6/29/14 12:21 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks so much for the info and links as well! I will definitely look into these!
Crosby
on 6/28/14 10:12 pm

I recently discussed this with my doctor due to upcoming surgery. She presented there were topical anti inflammatories that could be used. I am not sure that is the best option for me as I would have to bathe it in. Cymbalta has been shown to have some success with arthritis and was not on my surgeons no list. 

shayisshrinking
on 6/29/14 12:24 am - Charlotte, NC
I'm familiar with cymbalta, as well as Embrel (even though I'm not sure if it allowed either) what were some of your suggestions?
gbsinsatx
on 6/29/14 1:43 am - San Antonio, TX

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as 2 other auto-immune diseases. Your rheumatologist can prescribe non-NSAID medication. Everyone responds to various medication therapies differently so you may need to try more than one to find relief.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

karenp8
on 6/29/14 4:23 am - Brighton, IL

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years and had to rny 22 months ago. I had to come off my NSAIDS before surgery which was terribly painful as I had been on them for almost 30 years. My rheumatologist has me on plaquinil and Humira which I inject every two weeks. Enbrel is also okay to be used. If I have a flare he prescribes steroids for a short time,but since I lost 140 pounds I haven't needed any! It may take some time to find the right therapies for you,but it can be done.

shayisshrinking
on 6/29/14 4:27 am - Charlotte, NC
All of you have been extremely helpful and have provided me with a lot of options! I'm jotting down all of them so that when we speak I'll have a strong base to form a good game plan!!! Thank you!!!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 307 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views