Epilepsy caused by RNY?!?

Amy Pepper
on 6/30/14 11:45 am - Milaca, MN

I am out several years. I started having issues with seizures about 3 years ago. It was supposedly because of the meds I was taking. So I quit taking the meds. The syncope and seizures stopped, almost. I had a seizure a few times after meds. Anyway, fast forward to 2 months ago, had a seizure again, kid brought me to ER. Then 3 weeks later, had another tonic clonic seizure, bad. Bit off a chunk of my tongue, had issues breathing, had my kid not been here to roll me Im afraid to think of what could have happened. After meeting with and having tons of tests done by the neurologist I have been diagnosed with epilepsy... Im beyond devastated, Life is going to change, in so many different ways. I cant drive, Im heavily medicated I feel like my brain is mush. I cant get through a full day without napping. I forget, EVERYTHING! I feel like I cant be the person I was before...

I want to know if anyone else has had issues? If theres more info online anywhere? Im looking to connect with people who have these same issues? 

And please, anyone who has the need to say mean things, or that my RNY didnt cause it please dont waste your time commenting...

poet_kelly
on 6/30/14 12:02 pm - OH

There is lots of info online about epilepsy. But I've never seen anything saying RNY causes epilepsy.  Did the neurologist tell you your RNY caused your epilepsy?  How would that work?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 6/30/14 12:38 pm

Melting Mama has posted a lot about her seizures post-RNY. HERE is the link to her blog posts on the subject.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

aesposito
on 6/30/14 1:28 pm

I know you don't want to hear that the RNY didn't cause the seizures... but more than any other types of seizures, idiopathic tonic-clonic seizures can present at any age, and often have a genetic basis.  I am not saying don't blame RNY... but I am saying it is possibly not to blame.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/14 2:10 pm - OH

What Audrey said.  Not everything that happens after WLS is the result of WLS.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

HarvestMoon1974
on 6/30/14 3:03 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

Google "Seizures after weight loss surgery" and you'll find that it is a documented side effect of the bypass. There is an article about a study that was done, and showed a direct correlation. There are also several posts on various sites by people who've experienced this problem.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Amy Pepper
on 6/30/14 8:09 pm, edited 6/30/14 8:11 pm - Milaca, MN

I had googled it after speaking with my doctors. Thats why I posted. In hopes of finding others in my boat. And YES my RNY did cause it. This is not genetic.I have different types of seizures, I also have very bad migraines associated with my WLS. I didnt just get epilepsy. There are tons of research about it. Go look! I am not gonna argue with anyone. I have seen several DRs and they all agree my issues are cause of the RNY, And I dont blame all my bad stuff on RNY. Like I stated above, I dont need to hear that. I came to get help from others in this position, not be told by someone who doesnt know my story, my medical stuff and isnt a dr... Im not saying that to be mean. But I dont need nasty comments or judgements! Thanks for the links, Ill go check out her blog.  

ladygodiva1228
on 6/30/14 9:58 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'm curious did your doctor say how the RNY caused the epilepsy?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views