Pain under left side ribs 11 weeks after RNY?

Nova B.
on 7/2/14 8:39 am - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14

Started a week or so ago, first felt on a flight.  Thought maybe it had something to do with my new tummy and the air pressure?  Felt it again on the flight home.  Have had a couple of twinges off and on since then till last night at the gym.  Felt like I was being stabbed just under my ribs. I figured I had drank too much water before starting and it subsided after about a half hour.  Now today Ive had it off an on all day, expecially after eating or drinking, and its getting worse.  I have a call in to my Dr. but was wondering if anyone else has had this? 

HW: 293  Pre Liquid Diet Weight: 288  SW: 270  CW: 190.5

Finding_Feather
on 7/2/14 8:46 am

I had stabbing pain under my left rib about 2weeks after surgery, I couldn't breath normally. The Dr. put me on antibiotics for a week and the pain went away.

thinkpink91
on 7/2/14 12:30 pm - Calgary, Canada
RNY on 02/26/14

I also have the pain and have since I had surgery and I'm 4 months out. I've been told that its nothing to worry about. For me it happens on and off and find that if I've been standing a lot it hurts worse. If you find out what it is could you let me know. I just got X-Rays done of the area to check it out I'll let you know if they show anything. 

new_me180
on 7/2/14 1:54 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I had a pain as well under my left rib and got progressively worse by end of February. Had pain while exercising, whilst eating and felt nauseous as well. At first i thought it was another ulcer. After numerous visits to the ER and my surgeon,  he finally decided to do an emergency laparoscopy thinking it was an internal hernia. Fortunately it was just adhesions and i've been pain free since then. Don't know if you could have something similar but, i hope not as the only cure is to go under the knife again. Good luck.

leslie14
on 7/3/14 1:52 am

I had left side rib pain for about a month after surgery.  Nurse said that was where the doc did the biggest incision for laproscopy and sometimes the rib can get bruised.  BUT not sure at 11 weeks and with what you describe that it is the same thing.  Are you nauseated or anything?  You might call your surgeon.  Hope you're better soon! 

Surgery 10/1/2013  

Nova B.
on 7/3/14 9:08 am - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14

Surgeons office finally called back.  After a bit more discussion they think its just gas.  The pain I have been having was what I expected to have right after surgery but never did.  Starting under the ribs on the left and radiating up to my shoulder and left arm.  No nausea, just pain.  Gas-X didn't really help and it subsides within about 20 minutes.  They told me to go to the ER if I have a bout that does not subside over the weekend.  Now I need to figure out what Im eating that's causing it!

HW: 293  Pre Liquid Diet Weight: 288  SW: 270  CW: 190.5

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 478 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 392 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 113 views