I don't have many things I can't eat......

sjfrank
on 7/5/14 9:02 am

I don't have dumping syndrome and I feel like my appetite is growing. I had gastric bypass on January 14th and have gone from 294 to 203. My weight is still going down but worry about weight gain eventually. I thought about the 5 day pouch testbut my doctor and best friend (also a surgeon) said it's a short term fix. 

Any tips to regain momentum that I've made.

MickeyDee
on 7/5/14 11:43 am

Relax and enjoy it.  Don't fixate on weight loss ammounts or rate of loss.  

You will have stalls.

The Salty Hag
on 7/5/14 10:04 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I'm very glad your doctor and friend steered you away from the pouch test. 

If you are eating simple carbs, that could be why you feel your appetite is growing. Simple/white/processed carbs tend to make us feel more hungry and not give us the satiety that a good, lean, dense protein will.

If you know for sure that you don't dump, all you can do is have the willpower to stay away from poor diet choices. I wish there was an easier way, but there really isn't. This is one of those "make or break" moments in your WLS journey. You have the power and the ability to not let food get the better of you. You have to make the choice to eat dense, lean proteins and non starchy veggies during a meal, or you can make the choice to eat foods that will certainly slow or stop your weight loss and eventually lead to regain.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Laura in Texas
on 7/5/14 10:30 pm

Right now the surgery is doing all the work. You can make bad choices now and you will still lose. The problem is, down the line it will catch up to you. Follow your plan. Make good choices. Track your food. Learn the habits now that will stick with you when your weight loss stops so you can maintain for a lifetime.

You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 7/5/14 10:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The surgery creates hormonal changes that makes hunger pretty much disappear, but only for 6-9 months. So what you are experiencing is normal. This is where the new eating habits that you hopefully learned will become vital to your continued success.

Staying away from simple carbs, like crackers, chips, pasta, bread, potatoes and sweets will help a lot. They don't give you a full feeling, and make you crave more.

The best thing I have done to stay on track is weigh, measure and log everything I eat. I always know how much I'm taking in, and can keep myself from eating too much.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/6/14 1:13 am

I can eat far less dense protein than I can eat simple carbs. Eat protein first, then veggies, and then if you still have room you can try some complex carbs.

You can do this. The problem with the five day pouch diet is that it is just another crash diet. Most of us tried tons of crash diets and none ofthem are sustainable. Lifestyle changes such as protein first are easier to sustain in the longrun. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

TXKashmir
on 7/6/14 2:46 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Hi, sj - you've gotten some great advice. I'm a dumper, and I'm so glad because it has helped tremendously in maintaining my weight loss. Without that benefit, it really is up to you to make wise choices. I highly recommend the Atkins plan or something similar - it is not a diet, it's just a healthy way to eat that you can implement for the rest of your life. Good for you for seeking advice, and actually taking it to heart. We are always here for you...and, by the way, congratulations on your loss, I bet you feel great.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

White Dove
on 7/6/14 3:24 am - Warren, OH

You have gotten some excellent advice.   You have approximately one year left of the honeymoon period where you can learn eating and exercise habits that will sustain you long after that.

Weigh, measure and track your food.  Get protein first.  Avoid white carbs.  Weigh yourself every day.  Right now you can drift along where you are now or you can make a big effort to continue to lose weight. 

It will be much harder a year from now.  You will never again have the opportunity to get it right that you will have in this next year.  I hope you make the most of the gift of surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Shirleyann_43
on 7/6/14 4:54 pm

what is the five day pouch test

Friends K.
on 7/7/14 1:32 am
RNY on 01/14/14

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'm exactly the same as you...same surgery date. Same loss. And can eat anything. But I just keep going. Feels like dieting now. But it is easier if I have protein first. Only 3meals and a small snack. gawd...food is offered or available So Fricking often in my life! Sigh. 

I can eat more. That's a sign my body is good at adapting. Weight loss is going to be slower the second half but that doesn't mean I'm not doing it right.  The middle of this year is an interesting place. I know how. I know exercise is a mental key for me. Morning exercise keeps my food on track. It works for me to have a bite of something. I plan a treat. I like dark chocolate savored with iced coffee for a moment of peace. I square is all I need.

my Average losses are still really good but they seem slow. The surgery helps when I follow it's rules but it isn't magic like it was 3months ago. I have to do it right, most everyday.....for the next 50 years. 

Gosh I feel good. I look good. I'm having lots of nsv I'm keeping track of them! they remind me that chicken or a plan burger will fill me up and satisfy me.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Most Active
Recent Topics