Feelings of Failure Creeping In...

tdbull
on 7/5/14 5:11 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I'm camping with family and friends over 4th of July. Lots of food and drink going around and I'm out of my element. Was doing well till yesterday, when the peanuts came out on the beach and I started eating them and couldn't stop. Them back at camp, there was taffy sitting around. I ate about 10 pc and of course, got violently ill. RH I guess. Had to lie down and finally slept off my stupor. I've over eaten calories before, but never 2 days in a row. You guessed it, those darn peanuts came out again by the campfire. While everyone was eating oysters, steamer clams, cheese and crackers, etc., I proceeded to overeat my calories in peanuts. Now I'm in a panic that I will spiral out of control. I logged everyone thing in MFP and found that I ate 2700 calories yesterday then today I ate 1900 calories. I did workout, but my calorie goal is only 1000 calories a day. I really need help with ideas on how to stay on plan when I am out of my comfort zone or during long holiday gatherings like this. I brought all of my own safe foods, ate them, but just lapsed when I saw the peanuts. And I don't even know why I went for the taffy, since I've tried things like licorice before with the same violent reaction. Looking for advice to help me handle these situations in the future.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Grim_Traveller
on 7/5/14 11:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't freak out. You've done incredible so far. I know I have days like that, and once in a while I even know ahead of time that I'm going to go off the rails. One day a few months back I hit 4,000 calories in a day. But I just made sure to cut back for a while after, and average it out.

This is where all the logging pays off. You'll get home from vacation, get back on track, and it will be great. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

molly3613
on 7/5/14 11:36 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Yes average it out like Grim says.  The two times I have made an appt. with my dietitian for a private consult I took My Fitness Pal logs for 2 months.  She had her calculator and she averaged each week.  Went week by week.  So just do like he said and cut back then do the math.  As far as what makes you do that I guess you are out of your controlled zone.  As long as it is a once in a while slip it might actually allow you to keep it up for the long haul.  Ease up for a day then get back on that horse.   Like a vacation from the control of the plan.  Just a thought.    You look great.

tdbull
on 7/6/14 1:19 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks, Molly. Still camping, but threw all the peanuts away, not touching sweets, and going to workout and drink a lot of water. Appreciate your input!! I like averages. Makes it better to tolerate these darn slipups.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

tdbull
on 7/6/14 1:17 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks Grimm. You're right, getting back on track quickly not only will address any weight issues or feelings of discomfort, but will also level set this crazy mind of mine. Appreciate your feedback.

molly3613
on 7/6/14 1:52 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

This weekend I had a bag of granola and a bag of goldfish stashed in the crock pot.  We had a power outage due to rain storm Friday night.  Crock pot light was blinking so electronically challenged hubby turned it off.  But he actually set it to warm.  So he cooked a mix of hidden granola and hidden gold fish for hours till I smelled the plastic bags melting in the kitchen Saturday. You cannot imagine what my crock pot looked like or his face when he discovered my hidden stash.  So I just got back from bed, bath and beyond with a new crock pot which is no longer a hiding place.  I deserved to get caught ... i guess!  Cost me $80.00!  Back on track.....

MyLady Heidi
on 7/6/14 1:49 am

My motto is every day is not Christmas don't eat like it is, but when it is Christmas have some treats, same with 4th of July or any other holiday.  On Monday get back to business.  You should enjoy life and not beat yourself up over eating too many peanuts.  Just make a deal with yourself every Monday it is back on the straight and narrow.  I have stayed successful all these years by Mon-Fri being totally on plan and on the weekends enjoying some treats here and there, and when it is a holiday you should enjoy.

tdbull
on 7/6/14 1:24 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thx Heidi. I'm beating myself up pretty badly. Just need to get back to clean living.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/6/14 5:07 am, edited 7/6/14 5:07 am

Actually peanuts or other nuts are my to go food on days I want - need more food.  That is also my regular LNS food that keeps my BS very stable overnight. 

The taffy and cupcakes, starches and stuff like that are off the list but I found out that one day of higher calories that was based on fat- proteins and low carb actually balances my system and I don't gain weight on that.  

Nuts clean med out asndc that's not a bad thing. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mimisocks
on 7/6/14 5:52 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

I am with you, Hala B. Nuts are my go-to protein snack when I feel the need for crunchy.  1oz of almonds, cashews or peanuts is okay for my plan and it helps with the desire for less nutritious foods.

TDBull, just chalk this experience up as not a failure but a learning opportunity.  Get back on plan ASAP and allow for "treat" times if it doesn't sabatogue your efforts.

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 482 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 166 views
Recent Topics