Horrible stomach pain since revision to ERNY from DS...

Special_KLJ2
on 7/8/14 11:16 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I had a DS in 8/2010, lost 90lbs, regained 30 in one month and had lots of acid reflux.  In March 2014 I had a revision to ERNY and have had one issue after another with only about 25 lbs of weight loss: stomach leak that they thought was my pancreas (happened a month out of surgery and damn near killed me); then at almost 2 months out there was unknown fluid in my belly again and it went away on its own; since all of this I keep ending up in the hospital with all over gut pain.  It feels like there is something trying to exit my stomach, from under breast, past outside of ribs and clear down to pubic bone.  The pain comes on at various times and I have not found any symptoms to linik it to.  Sometimes it is hot and stabbing, other times it is intermittent, no rhyme or reason.  I have also had some severe rectal bleeding and one time a lot of lower back pain with these symptoms.  The doctors are starting to act like a pain pill addict (I only get pain meds while in hospital as I cannot take pills at home and function!  I have had upper & lower scopes with nothing found.  WBC is usually quite high or quite low.  Other labs seem ok. PLEASE, SOMEBODY HAVE SOME THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT COULD BE GOING ON!  I can't live like this!  My dotor is Gary Anthone from Omaha.

Karen L. Johnson    
MyLady Heidi
on 7/8/14 12:35 pm

Wow I am so sorry, pain sucks, I have a stone stuck in my bile duct and know that horrible pain you describe.  I hope they figure something out soon, are you taking Nexium?  I was on protonix at the hospital last week and taking Nexium now to help with the burn from the backed up bile.  It might help you also.

Good Luck.

Ladytazz
on 7/9/14 4:10 am

It seems like a lot of WLS patients end up with unexplained abdominal pain, including myself.  In my case it was more related to my 10 abdominal surgeries as a whole and not one individual surgery.

I see a lot of people going through all kinds of tests and it seems that many aren't diagnosed until the surgeon actually goes in there with a lap or open procedure to see what is going on.

In my case, again, because of so many surgeries I have a lot of scar tissue.  The last thing my surgeon wants to do is open me up again and see what it looks like.  Fortunately, since my last hospitalization last December I haven't had any pain but that doesn't mean it is gone completely.

I wish I had more suggestions for you.  BTW, I am also a revision from a DS.  I'm not sure if what I have is an ERNY because my revision was to lessen my malabsorption since it caused me a lot of problems.  I think it is mainly the restriction that helps me.  I also had severe reflux that was cured completely with my revision.

If you haven't had an exploratory abdominal lap or open procedure that may be the last resort.  I hope they get to the bottom of your problems.  Pain is not normal and you should not have to live that way. If they refuse to take you seriously then maybe it's time to find another doctor.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics